Help understanding solar

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Kind of. Only, I don't want the inverter, etc inside the shed itself. I'm going to have a lean-to off the back of the shed for my mower, tools, and I don't know what else. The inverter and battery(s) will be in there.

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hm. Just reading this after being away for while. I wonder... I don't know the load estimates for the hot plate vs. a small microwave for reheating stuff. For coffee or tea, just boil water somehow. (And I'm wondering if a lower wattage microwave would have a lower load than the electric hot plate? :hu )

I use one of these. http://shop.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+008&Cat= or you can use a french press, which is also handy. No hot plate to stay on after water is heated. If you can reduce your electrical load you can make this more feasible. also, they make very small generators that are very quiet.

For a full pot I use the #6 size. Granted, I'm not trying to do this in my tack shed. :) The heat with electricity bit has already been described. The technical term for it is "controlled dead short". If you have a propane camper fridge (you can find those pretty inexpensive used) you can hook up a barbecue grill sized-tank and it'll run for a long time because they just run on a pilot light. I also now wonder if they make single propane burner hot plate thingies? And the induction cooktop thing that Gypsi suggested might be feasible.

Anyway, I'll re-read what you already have later and try to come up with other suggestions that would actually be useful for what you've already told us. ;)