HELP! What do I tell the butcher??? (Pig)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ordered half a pig and he is at the butcher. Now the butcher wants me to call him and tell him how to cut it up. I have never done this before.

HEEEELLPPPPPP!!!

How do I get the best bang for my buck and not sound like a moron??
:hide

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
When we do it, we get ham steaks (smoked or cured, just heat and eat) medium thick bacon, sausage patties (links are dry) and smoked ham roast (or whatever thats called, lol) . Then you can get the hocks and whatever for soups. This year I cubbed the ham steaks and canned them for later use. You can also get pork chops (however thick or with or without bones) and ribs!

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Huh?

Is there a specific "cut package" or style??? I really don't get this AT ALL.

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
No, just tell them thats what you want, they'll guide you through it. We usually get 3 chops to a package, 8 patties to a package, etc

Wifezilla

Reaction score
She talked me through it :D

I ordered just ground pork instead of sausage so I can season it myself. I am having them cure the bacon...maybe next time I will do that myself. Getting the fat...

I think I did ok :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
you did GREAT! really - the beez knees.

next time you'll for sure. the first time we did it we just kept track of what we liked.

however we do minimal processing b/c the cutting and wrapping is the most expensive part. for instance we only have them cut ONE of four hams in to 1- 1.5 inch steaks and have them wrapped for gifts etc. the rest i break out my saw and do myself.

also like you we like the ground meat. we found out we dont really use the links...so we like bulk meat which we grind here (thanks Bourbon Red and MOG!).

next we found out that like the loins cut from the bones and into thick THICK THICK chops. but thats only b/c i'm a pork chop fiend.

so with this half you'll figure out what you like best and can be more sure next time. oh yes.. there will be a next time...

great work!
:)

Wifezilla

Reaction score
We didn't name him since we didn't have to raise him :D

I am getting hungry just thinking about that delicious pig! Pork chops with mushroom sauce in the slow cooker HERE WE COME!

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
WOO!!! See, it wasn't that hard, and we get the lard from ours, too. Using it as we speak for pie crust!!! :drool