HELP! What do I tell the butcher??? (Pig)

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
raiquee said:
curly_kate said:
I recently went through the same thing, but I just explained that this was the first time we'd ordered a pig, and the lady from the meat locker set me up with the usual order. I was disappointed because we only got 2 packs of spare ribs. My FIL does amazing work with smoking ribs, so I was hoping to have more for him to use. I also really love a good pork tenderloin, and we didn't get any of that. If I ask for these items, does it end up wasting a lot of other pork? I'll ask them about it next time, but since WZ brought it up, I thought I'd ask.

They also acted like I was crazy to request 2" chops!
Am I wrong in thinking tenderloin is part of chops? I think thats how it goes, so if you get tenderloin, I think you get ribs. If you want chops it's the tenderloin plus the ribs...or something.

I'm new to pig anatomy, so I may be wrong :) If this is the case however, and you got a whole pig butchered, I don't see why they can't pull a tenderloin from one side, and do the otherside as chops?? Someone correct me?
The actual tenderloin is a round, thin strip of meat, in two peices, along the backbone. It's also called the "backstrap" (in any animal). On any animal, it's the most tender and sought-after meat.

It sounds like you are referring to the LOIN, which is where your chops come from as shown in the diagram GPN shared. You also see this section in grocery stores as "whole loin" or "boneless whole loin". It's a much larger piece of meat than the tenderloin.

ETA: as shown in the diagram GPN shared, the ribs come from a different section of the carcass.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Kim_NC said:
Here prices are $0.75 - $1.00/lb live weight. The ideal size of a market hog is 250 - 275 lbs. From a 250 lb hog you will get:
- approx 175 lbs hanging weight.
- finished meat will be approx 140 lb, depending on whether your chops and roasts are bone-in or boneless, and how much you have ground. If you go boneless or heavier on the sausage side, you'll have less finished weight.

Processing here runs $0.50 - 0.60 per lb based on hanging weight. There is usually a killing fee as well, $35 - 40.

Finished meat yields for a hog carcass divides roughly into
- 55% chops, steaks and roasts (or hams, shoulders)
- 13% ground/sausage (or stir fry)
- 10% ribs
- 3% hocks
- 6% bone and fat
You can of course have more ground for sausage and less in chops or roasts.

Estimating your freezer - In general, 30 pounds of meat takes up one cubic foot of freezer space.
All good info!

Around here we also pay a "boxing fee" and a "waste removal fee" each about $5 to $10 bucks.

When I am searching for a hog to buy I do a little farmer interview. I try to buy from a farmer that is raising hogs primarily to fill their OWN freezer. You simply get animals that are raised to a higher standard that way. I NEVER would buy a "containment" hog. They may be kept penned, but be sure they have access to the outdoors, sunshine and fresh air. They are FAR more healthy.

I am glad you asked for the fat! Now you can try your hand at some good pastry or soap making. If you ask they might even process the lard for you.

We are bacon lovers around here, so I always ask for the jowl meat to be made into bacon as well. Don't neglect to ask for those offal bits. Liver, heart, brains, tail and feet all make good eating with the right recipe. If nothing else they can be cooked up to make some good free (or nearly so) dog food.

I generally allow the butcher shop to season my sausage. Ask and they will tell you what seasonings they usually use and sometimes even give you the choice. When they season it they often mix the spices in mechanically which gives a good even result.

I always let them cure my hams and bacon since I am just not set up for it. Some places are far better at this step than others. Also the meat usually is frozen at the processors. I think meat should be still fresh when you apply a brine or cure to it. If you want to try a little charcuterie of your own perhaps you could arrange to pick up that part of the meat right after it was cut.

Added to say: If you really want to see a good video about cutting up meat I would recommend highly the BBC show River Cottage (I think it is River Cottage Autumn) that shows the entire butchery of a pig.

Once you get started doing this stuff you will NEVER go back to nasty store bought. :thumbsup

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The spare ribs are peeled off the inside of the bacon and there are only so many ribs on a hog. As mentioned above - the tenderloin is the small strap of meat on the inside of the carcass - it, ehem, often does not find its way into a wrapper when you have a butcher do them...it must be made into sausage... the loin runs along the back of the pig - you can have them bone it out and cut into (boneless) chops or they can saw bone-in chops. If you get coneless chops they can saw off the top part of the ribs from the backbone which gives you the so-called baby-back ribs. If you get bone-in ribs the babyback part is part of the chop.
Hey - OFG was going to post something on killing and cutting up a hog - hmmm...

raiquee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses guys! Didn't realize the tenderloin was the "backstraps" and was different from the loin! Good to know, more meat ;) Who on earth would grind up the backstraps and put them in sausage?!?! that's a crime!

So, when you look at a pig diagram (like the one posted) you can assume all those cuts are for half a pig right? So you should get 2 hams...2 shoulders...etc etc on a whole hog, correct? I wonder how much bacon people can get off the side, my DH looooves him some bacon ;)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
More bacon is what hog breeders have been working on for years! Just remember if you have a chance to pick out the hog, whether you are buying it to raise or buying it on the hoof to butcher as I often do. The longer the hog the more bacon you get!!

In general I have found out that the better judge of animals I am the better meat I get in my freezer. I seek out any material regarding livestock judging I can possibly find. 4-H, FFA and Agricultural colleges usually have lots on info on "pig judging" or other livestock judging. Some of it is available from the USDA for low cost or free as well. USDA fact sheets

Another good site to check out Types of Swine

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Kim -Thanks so much for that information! Easily understandable and concise. It gives me a much better feel for the math involved. That's the part I was really struggling with.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You're welcome.

We have a hog at the slaughter house this week. The live weight is 288 lb. When we get it back, I'll post again with the hanging weight and finished cut weights.

Kim_NC

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Slaughter House called. Our hog was killed yesterday, hung overnight and is being processed today. They'll vac seal and freeze (takes 2 days to freeze solid), which puts it ready for Friday. But I arranged pickup for Monday as we have other errands in that area (1 hr+ drive away) on Monday.

So I should be able to post some numbers/results Mon evening or Tue AM.

Anyone else have numbers they can share on a recently slaughtered hog? We always like to compare notes with others who are butchering.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Still waiting on ours. Not sure when we will get delivery.

Latest posts