Help! What should I do for a painful earache?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Garlic oil - just steep some crushed garlic in olive oil for awhile (or whatever oil you have), strain and apply to ear canal. Stinky, but it works. Mullein is great too - I apply it to glandular areas when I'm coming down with something and it usually clears right up. I buy it in a salve.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions! I will try them next time. Last night I flushed out my ear with a weak solution of tea tree oil and warm water. This morning when I woke up it was gone! Usually it does go away when I sleep but not every time. I did make an appt with an ent to find out if there is something structurally wrong.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
When my DD was a baby, she used to get ear infection all the time. The pediatrician told me to do the garlic in olive oil treatment. He had me warm the olive oil and then put the crushed garlic in. Strain and put a couple of drops in the affected ear.
DD says it stung when it first went in, but within a minute or so the pain went away and she would sleep.
It sure does stink :lol:

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You may have TMJ pain, that can come and go. I just figured this out on myself. Doctor could not find any signs of infection and the pain was severe. I do not have grinding or clicking but my chiropractor said he thought I had tmj due to the way my jaw moves.

What I have found is that ozonated olive oil into the ear canal will eliminate the pain over night.

I am not sure why it works except for all the benefits that ozone has to the immune system and it has a known analgesic effect. Some doctors inject ozone gas to areas of pain in the body with quite good results.

this is where i get it. the small 50 oz jar will last a very long time. Keep it in the frige or freezer

http://www.ozonatedoilonline.com/catalog.html

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Onion juice is all I ever use for earaches here and actually my whole family does too. Cut a room temperature onion in half, scrape with a teaspoon for a few drops and put it in your ear plug with cotton

warthog

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yes, I would also try the warm olive oil and cotton ball.

This was how earaches were treated in my family when I was a child.

Certainly worth a try, just make sure the oil is not too hot, it will always feel warmer inside the ear than outside.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Do you know that ear aches that come and go and are not related to infection can sometimes be cured by a neck adjustment at the chiro.

kimlove2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
you can also try putting a blow dryer on the lowest warm setting and directing the air flow just past the ear. the heat eases the pain.