HELP with incubation!!! And frostbit foot issues

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
I have 21 Muscovey eggs in the incubator (homemade from the family that we are hatching for) and I am not able to get the humidity to get above 40%.
All the reading I have done, says for it to be 80% for 31 days, and then raised to 95% for hatching.
Anything lower makes for low hatch rate.

The tray is full of water. About 2 cups worth.
Beyond misting the eggs daily, what can I do?

ETA
I just looked at the ducks foot ( the frostbit one that we are sitting) and its looking worse. Outer toe is all black and middle one is bloody. The rest of the foot has lots of different colors with some blisters still.
Ideas anyone?
I have put raw coconut oil on, but I do not have any kinds of actual meds...and I can sew a booty if needed.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Can you wet a washcloth and stick it in there? Can you close up the vent to sthe humidity does not excape?

edit b/c my fingers were not on the right keys. :cool:

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Surface area is what increases humidity - is there a way to add additional cups/bowls of water? I increased humidity by adding a damp rag to mine (warning: don't use DH's old socks....once they get damp and warm they smell to high heaven, even though they were washed prior to becoming rags). I've heard some people use a maxipad.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yep surface area creates humidity. Fold a paper towel twice, soak it in warm water and put it in there. Do that a couple times a day and they should be fine. My Scovies hatched okay and I had the humidity at 75% most of the time because I was dumb enough to put chicken eggs in with them. I had 50% hatch rate though on the ducks. ALL MALES :barnie

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Pads are good idea. Though I will have to use my pretty flannel ones!
Won't that make interesting conversation with company :lol:

The tray is fairly large and it covers over half the bottom.

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
hopefully you have a way to add water to the towels / rags / pads without lifting the lid... the bator I am using has 2 little vent areas where I can use a straw or syringe to add water

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
AL said:
hopefully you have a way to add water to the towels / rags / pads without lifting the lid... the bator I am using has 2 little vent areas where I can use a straw or syringe to add water
Welllll. I have to open it to turn the eggs. It does not have an egg turner :hide
I guess I should use that time to mist warm water right before closing it?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Updated in first post. Need help with frostbite.

Duck sitting is interesting for sure. Do I really want ducks in the future? Time will tell :lol: