HELP with incubation!!! And frostbit foot issues

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
I'm not really sure what you can do for frostbite. :/ I'm guess you'll just have to watch it and see if the tissue starts to rot or something, then treat like a wound. Maybe it'll be like a rooster comb and just stay black. :idunno

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For turning, depending on the style of the incubator, you might be able to turn without opening it. Mine is a home-made out of an Omaha Steaks cooler. I "turned" the eggs by leaning one side on a large book and 5-7 times a day, I put the book under the opposite end. This way I was able to get away with only opening the incubator once every 3 days or so to add water.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have a brower top hatch I use for my duck eggs....no turner...no air...I use a sponge, a bowl of water...and occasionally I mist them. I get a pretty good hatch rate...usually 95% or higher!
As for the frostbite...wow....thats hard on a duck foot. Can you keep it in a dry place?? Like, no pool to get into? Do you have Blue Kote? That stuff works great on frostbite! Good luck with the duckies....I just put 33 duck eggs in the bator yesterday. :D

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I have a brower top hatch I use for my duck eggs....no turner...no air...I use a sponge, a bowl of water...and occasionally I mist them. I get a pretty good hatch rate...usually 95% or higher!
As for the frostbite...wow....thats hard on a duck foot. Can you keep it in a dry place?? Like, no pool to get into? Do you have Blue Kote? That stuff works great on frostbite! Good luck with the duckies....I just put 33 duck eggs in the bator yesterday. :D
No Blue Kote. She is in a dry pen we have in our crawl space (think heated unfinished basement with a 4 foot ceiling)

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
HEChicken said:
For turning, depending on the style of the incubator, you might be able to turn without opening it. Mine is a home-made out of an Omaha Steaks cooler. I "turned" the eggs by leaning one side on a large book and 5-7 times a day, I put the book under the opposite end. This way I was able to get away with only opening the incubator once every 3 days or so to add water.
If I lean this one, all the water will spill out of the pan :(

Good news though! The inside hygrometer is saying 77%, and although the outside with internal probe one is saying 45%, I am going with the inside reading. Especially since the temp on that one is agreeing with the probe in the wiggler.