Help with squash & melon patch

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We usually don't grow many- just enough for carving for Halloween and then the pigs get to eat them. Didn't grow any this year but my parents have some coming along.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For the squash and melon question, I always did hills of 3-5 plants 4-6 apart and literally move the vines into the yard. Less grass to mow. Lolol. Temporary garden expansion, leaving more growing room in the "real" garden space. You could also use planters out in the yard, and not plant in the garden at all

Something fun for the wee kiddos if you do pumpkins. Before they get too big and get ready to turn orange, have the kiddos pick out one or two, and then score their name into the outer layer. The scored area will turn tan and really stands out later. The kids get to watch "their" pumpkin mature.

Did that once I had pumpkins all over the place... Seriously. My son and I picked in excess of a hundred pumpkins. I forgot how many pickup truck loads we had harvested and lined up and down both sides of the driveway. Wished I had a picture of the pumpkin harvest. But I still have frozen pumpkin mash in the deep freezer. It makes the best pumpkin pancakes and pie.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My squash started with my putting cardboard under vines....they went rampant! Grass made it hard to find them & they were all over the place....and I ONLY had 3 vines planted. I liked the cardboard & paper feedbag areas but, got lax when they expanded so much.

072117.2.jpg

081317.2.jpg

091417008.jpg

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Mini Horses , I'm on my way out RIGHT NOW to add more cardboard. :) I've also been lax in keeping up with the new growth, and was just out there. This spring I lost almost all my squash and melons to the grass. I don't want that to happen again. Thanks for the reminder!