HELP!!

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I feel like poop!!!

I have a little chest congestion, stopped up nose, a lot of pressure in my sinuses. Any home remedies recommendations to bring a little relief?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Liquor. Whiskey or something like that. Make a tottie and treat it like that.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
onion and garlic in honey works on lots of upper respiratory stuff

Cricket

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Try rinsing your sinuses with warm salt water--my husband and I swear by it. I fill a tea cup with warm water and 1/2 tsp salt dissolved. Block off one nostril and snort a snout full thru the other one. Then blow. And blow. Repeat every couple of hours for the first day or so. I came down with a cold last month 3 days before hand surgery and was having a fit thinking it was going to be delayed. After 2 1/2 days, I was slightly stuffy, but no one could tell I wasn't up to par.

Good luck and hope you're feeling better soon!

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Cricket said:
Try rinsing your sinuses with warm salt water--my husband and I swear by it. I fill a tea cup with warm water and 1/2 tsp salt dissolved. Block off one nostril and snort a snout full thru the other one. Then blow. And blow. Repeat every couple of hours for the first day or so. I came down with a cold last month 3 days before hand surgery and was having a fit thinking it was going to be delayed. After 2 1/2 days, I was slightly stuffy, but no one could tell I wasn't up to par.

Good luck and hope you're feeling better soon!
That may just be the most painful thing I've ever heard of! WOW! Burns my nostrils just thinking about it! :ep

Cricket

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Nope! If you do the right temperature, it's pretty much what's in your sinuses anyway. Sometimes the first go around feels yucky, but beats having a cold for a month!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Or you could use a neti pot, and trickle it in, then let it trickle out the other nostril. You will still need to blow out the loosened stuff. It really doesn't burn if you use the right amount of salt. Distilled water is recommended, to avoid bacterial infection possibilities.

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
I can second both the neti-pot and the honey/onion.

On the netipot: Its going to be a lot easier if you've never done it to run to the drug store and get one. Its tricky to learn to use, and the first 3 seconds always feel like pool water up your nose to me. It is the initial "burn" of the water flushing through that you feel, once its in there, you can't feel anything, except the relief when gunk comes out! Sometimes you can't get the water through if you're REALLY plugged up, in which case there are a couple options - either stop and wait, and see if it opens up a bit and then try again, or get something with a smell that can help open things up, like eucalyptus oil, or even vicks, and inhale a little bit to see if that helps. When I'm sick I use it twice a day. Otherwise, I use it as needed, like this weekend when we had a 2 hour riding lesson in a VERY dusty sand arena where the dust kept hanging around.

Onion honey: There is an entire thread devoted to this somewhere, but I'll give you a bit of a recap. Slice half a medium onion, put it in a jar, cover with honey. Raw organic honey is always the best. Let sit for at least 12 hours (4 or 6 if you're in a real hurry, but don't strain the onion until at least 12, or not at all). After 12 hours you can strain the onion out (don't worry, the honey thins), and then take a spoon full as often as you like. You don't have to strain the onion, if you don't want, but I'd mince it up good (that's the way my dad's grandmother did it).

Hope you feel better soon!