Hen Turning into Rooster-How to Reverse

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've been keeping chickens for almost 45 years now and only had one hen develop more male characteristics and that was when I was temporarily without a rooster....she never crowed but did develop small spurs and was mounting hens. Upon getting a sexually mature alternative, the hen reverted to female attributes only.

I'm wondering if your male is infertile due to one reason or another? Could be why you have experienced such an anomaly so frequently in your flocks?

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She's distantly related to the others who had conversions, and there's always been a rooster in the flock, all of who have been fertile, and along with too many broody hens why I have too many chickens! There haven't been any broody hens in two years though, yay!

The rooster she's with now is very fertile and has been a father to many chicks. He's also her brother.

ETA: I don't let brother and sister eggs hatch, but replace with eggs from unrelated matings.

I've been able to observe the chickens more since I've been outside working the past few days, and she relates to her flockmates the same as before, she's just has some masculine traits that she didn't have before.

I did not remember to put the estrogen cream on her this morning, but I plan to start tomorrow.

Last edited:

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good luck in treating her. I have no ideas on this one.

One of my hens started crowing, she was an outcast from the get go and got special treatment from me, so I assumed thats why she decided to "rule the roost". She died not too long after her crowing started unfortunately, I found it cute the way she patrolled along the top of the fenceline. I didnt have a rooster and now have ducks instead :D

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So far, not really any improvements. Sometimes I think she's not crowing as much, but maybe it's because I want to think that. She's getting to be really tame by me handling her every morning.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Daisy said: "I didnt have a rooster and now have ducks instead :D"

I've come to the conclusion, that : If having to make a choice between chickens and ducks, I'd choose the ducks.

1. ducks are quieter.
2. ducks do a great job patrolling the yard for slugs and snails. They eat many insects that chickens will not.
3. ducks are friendlier.
4. ducks don't dig huge dust bowls in the yard.
5. I much prefer duck eggs.

ime, the only negative aspect of ducks: THEY ARE MESSY!!!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My plan is to let let the chickens live out their lives, then no more chickens, unless seasonal meat birds.

We have Muscovy ducks who are good seasonal layers. I've heard that Muscovies are less messy than normal ducks, and I don't consider my Muscovies really messy. Just somewhat messy with the poo. They're quiet and quirky, easier to take care of, and they eat deer flies!

I'm tired of the holes from chickens dug everywhere, landscaping rocks dug clear out in the yard, and I plan to have a successful cottage flower garden, which can't be done with free ranging chickens.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep the digging of holes is what made me say no more chickens in my garden! The ducks are better at eating snails and their paddle pools water the trees :D win, win win - and no rolled ankles in new holes!

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Not much of a change yet. I did notice less crowing from her this morning. Her crow is low and soothing and to me more calming than the two real roosters.

The rooster that is in her group, just chases her a little. He treats her differently than the real rooster that he fights with hackles up on opposite side of a fence.