Hen with a dirty butt

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
You can always put her in a box and use the tailpipe of your car to gas her...I've never done it, but have heard of people who have.
The stump with the nails is my way of doing it, it is quick and over with
EEW, no! Easier on me, maybe, but for her? No, I'm working myself up to the ax. I guess if I ever want meat chickens I'll need to learn. This isn't what I wanted to do today though. :(

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well, I was able to do it. And it was definitely time; waiting any longer would have been cruel. It was interesting to note that the thinking about it, and getting prepared for it was the hardest part. Knowing it needed doing helped ... and then it was done. Liberating in a way, to know that I can if I have to. Since having chickens (2 1/2 years) I have wondered how I'd manage if/when the time came, and now I know. But its still very sad - of my original 6 only 2 are left; the others fell victim to a dog.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Just for the future.

We have had to kill a few animals in our day. Some were tiny babies or things that we had worked hard to rescue from one thing or another. Some things I just CAN NOT bring my self to hit with a hammer or break their neck. Yet to keep them going would be horrible and cruel. A few of those times we ended up wrapping the poor animal up in an old towel or blanket covering them completely and then positioning them directly behind the car tire and backing up. Sounds bad, but for the animal it is at least quick and sure.

Of course in the best case I recommend letting the vet put them to sleep when possible, but that is just not very practical for an injured wild thing, chicken or such.

You did the right thing for your hen.

When chickens get old (and for a layer 2 1/2 is getting old) things start going haywire with their reproductive system. Even in a younger hen going "egg bound" is a serious problem and they should usually be culled because even if you can get that egg to slip they often have the problem repeatedly.

On a good note. They have done studies that show that pullets allowed to mature more slowly by being given fresh greens and lower protein feeds have FAR less occurrence of becoming egg bound or having other lay related problems. The studies seem to indicate that those pullets also lay MORE eggs over the course of their lives.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Well, I was able to do it. And it was definitely time; waiting any longer would have been cruel. It was interesting to note that the thinking about it, and getting prepared for it was the hardest part. Knowing it needed doing helped ... and then it was done. Liberating in a way, to know that I can if I have to. Since having chickens (2 1/2 years) I have wondered how I'd manage if/when the time came, and now I know. But its still very sad - of my original 6 only 2 are left; the others fell victim to a dog.
It never got any easier for me...I really have to work up to it...but it sure is a relief when the deed is finally done

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
:hugs
I am sorry that you had to face this today, but I am glad that you found the strength to put her out of her misery.

:hugs

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Well, I was able to do it. And it was definitely time; waiting any longer would have been cruel. It was interesting to note that the thinking about it, and getting prepared for it was the hardest part. Knowing it needed doing helped ... and then it was done. Liberating in a way, to know that I can if I have to.
just wanted to say that your Auntie Ohiofarmgirl is really proud of you - and thanks for sharing your thoughts. i think we all get the "how can you do that' from other folks - and pretty much everyone who gets up the gumption says about the same thing. so great work, even if it was a tough thing to do. you should be very proud of yourself also. sometimes in this kinda life you really find out that saying "i'll never..." just isnt an option.

and of course... now you can think about getting some of those meaties...
;-)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks all; I appreciate your kind words.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Of course in the best case I recommend letting the vet put them to sleep when possible, but that is just not very practical for an injured wild thing, chicken or such.
Farmfresh, I have had to do this (go to the vet) for my cats more times than I care to recall, and I've got at least 5 more of those trips in front of me in all probability. They are never around long enough, but the only thing, in my opinion, that is worse than having them go is to not have had them around in the first place. I would have willingly taken Clara to the vet for a little prick with a needle, but that would have freaked her out terribly. This way, though harder on me, she was gently held at the end, and then quickly dead.
Hubby offered to do it, but it wouldn't have been easy for him either. And the chickens, from the beginning, have been mine, not his, and my responsibility. (He did bury her for me though, as I have recently had foot surgery, and couldn't have dug the hole)

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm so sorry :( We've had to kill at least 5 for that reason. They just don't recover from it and it's best not to let them suffer a slow death.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
ORChick said:
Farmfresh said:
Farmfresh, I have had to do this (go to the vet) for my cats more times than I care to recall, and I've got at least 5 more of those trips in front of me in all probability. They are never around long enough, but the only thing, in my opinion, that is worse than having them go is to not have had them around in the first place. I would have willingly taken Clara to the vet for a little prick with a needle, but that would have freaked her out terribly. This way, though harder on me, she was gently held at the end, and then quickly dead.
Hubby offered to do it, but it wouldn't have been easy for him either. And the chickens, from the beginning, have been mine, not his, and my responsibility. (He did bury her for me though, as I have recently had foot surgery, and couldn't have dug the hole)
You made me weepy.

I SO agree. She would have been much more upset to have to travel and be with the strangers. You make me proud. :hugs