HennyPenny's random thoughts. New set of goals!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wish I could have gotten mine to use the toilet! How did you manage that one?
I first tried this method, http://www.karawynn.net/mishacat/toilet.html but Charlie (my kitty) was having none of it. Then I tried using a foil basting tray with flushable litter, slowly cutting a hole in the middle. It worked until he fell in... Then I broke down and bought this. http://www.litterkwitter.com/en/index.php It was a bit spendy, but I haven't bought litter in almost a whole year. I read this article on how it's cruel and unfair to cats to do this, but vets back the Litter Kwitter. And I'm not trying to make him be human, I'm just training him, and he's okay with it.

We had outside cats growing up, but we had a dog to keep the raccoons away, and no close neighbors.

Hey HennyPenny, I'm jealous that you live in B'ham! I spent some time there when I was in college. Loved it there. smile Now I live on the Kitsap Penninsula.
When this house sells I'm moving back to Gig Harbor, LOL. Small world!

Arg, I spent money I didn't have to spend! But it'll be worth it! I ruined a cheesecake the other day, and today I bought an over thermometer. When my oven is set at 350, it is more like 375! No wonder I killed the cheesecake. Also got a juicer (the normal manual kind) and it was buy two get one free, so I got some spatulas for free.

I'm happy I don't sound boring to you, I just bored myself, lol. But it's good for me to track my spending and such. :p

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Well, let me know when you are in Gig Harbor! Maybe we can meet up and chat about SS stuff. :)

I don't think you are any more boring than me . . . I don't know if that makes you feel any better though. LOL

Also, there are worse ways to spend your money than on a juicer, or even an oven thermometer, IMO.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
They put up the schedules for work... I'm getting 26 hours next week, and 27 the week after! Yaaaaay! I bought bread flour at the store last week, and next week will get the yeast. I really want to start making my own bread. I only go through a loaf per week, so if I make a batch it will last at least two weeks since most recipes make two loaves. Even if it's cheaper to buy bread I want to do it. No preservatives or other unnecessary junk. I think bread freezes okay.

Doing Earth Hour later. Even if it doesn't do one ounce of good for the environment, hey, I'm saving on my gas/energy bill and that's good for me!

Arg. Having an open house tomorrow. Someone buy the silly thing so I can move. :he

I'm having chicken envy so much. I can't get them until I move. If it sells soon, and I don't move into an apartment, maybe I can still get some this year. An Easter Egger, a Barnevelder and a Light Sussex. Then my "flock" will look pretty, and each hen will lay a different colored egg! Wouldn't that be fun! In order, I would get green/blue, dark brown, and light brown/cream eggs.

Don't get me wrong, I like almost any kind of chicken (notable exceptions, Frizzles, and Silkies-please don't hate me), but there are just so many options! How else can I pick?

The pictures go Easter Egger, Barnevelder, and Light Sussex.
EasterP.jpg
chicken_wilkamdai_poultry_Barneveld.jpg
Light_sussex_hen.jpg

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Good luck with your open house tommorrow...bake bread before the people come! Haha! They'll want that bread so bad they'll buy the house to get it lol!
You will love having chickens, I love mine, and still haven't settled on the breed I like best, there is too much to choose from. This year I'm going to try chanteclers. I do like my silkies though, but probably wouldn't bother with them if I could get regular sized hens that set.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I can't imagine that purchased commercial bread is less expensive than home made. Around here, a one-pound loaf of bread sells for $1.29.

We can make 2 one pound loaves for about 60 cents a loaf.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Don't get me wrong, I like almost any kind of chicken (notable exceptions, Frizzles, and Silkies-please don't hate me), but there are just so many options! How else can I pick?
HAHAHAHA yes, I agree with you! I didn't care for these two breeds either! until I got some.

My Silkies are sweet little fluffballs, but I dunno if I got some bad genetics in mine or what, because they are also the dumbest chickens I own! So cute and soft and loveable, just dumb.

Oh and I can't forget about Quincy! He's my Large Fowl Frizzled Cochin Blue Roo, and he's the calmest roo on the whole place!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
LOVE your birds! Especially the Barnie!!!

That is what I like to do as well. Since I only have 3 or 4 hennies at a time. This batch are Ameraucana (looks almost like the one pictured lays blue-green) Salmon Faverolle lays tinted, Cuckoo Maran lays chocolate (not very dark though :() and a Red Star lays a HUGE normal brown egg.

That way I can tell who is laying what (just for fun) and the birds are very pretty in my yard as well.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I can't imagine that purchased commercial bread is less expensive than home made. Around here, a one-pound loaf of bread sells for $1.29.

We can make 2 one pound loaves for about 60 cents a loaf.
Here the cheapest "junk bread" as I call it, is .99 cents. But I'll take .60 cents any day!

Quail Antwerp- I'm sure I would love a Silky if I ever got one, but when I see the pictures of them with footnotes like "OMG the cutest thing EVER!" I'm like "far from it, but okay." If I ever want a broody, I know where to go for sure! I think Mama Silkies are pretty sweet. Do their feathers get all matted in the rain?

Farmfresh- I'm still considering breeds! The Marans are somewhat "rare" though, right? I plan on ordering from a feed store, not a hatchery, because I would have a nervous breakdown while the chicks were in shipping. I'm just that kind of person. :idunno

Dunno how the open house went... This realtor didn't leave a note or card or anything. Also left the front door unlocked, good job him. The downstairs still smells like his cologne. Why do real estate agents always need to act and dress like they're in New York City? Come on. It was a beautiful day though. The hydrangea I've been waiting to trim until we're out of danger of frost looks horrible though. I could have trimmed it, if the realtor hadn't giving me only two days notice about the open house. And it hadn't been raining and 39 degrees for those two days.

Blech. I'm going to watch I Love Lucy to cheer up. That's one of my non frugal things. I love Netflix!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
We have the new fangled Netflix BOX. You buy the unit (about $100) and the subscription is about $10.00 a month. You get the regular one DVD at a time in the mail, but so much better than that is the instant view selection.

You download the chosen shows (they have a library of THOUSANDS of movies, and TV shows and getting more all of the time) onto the box, then you can watch what you want, when you want! Complete with fast forward, reverse and pause!

I consider that a frugal item. No cable. No movies. No time waste. For $10.00 a month I can't even rent movies for that price - especially if you count in gas!

Yes, the Marans are still kind of rare. I got mine from Ideal hatchery. I have not had too much problem with the shipping. I put my phone number on the box and they call me in the wee hours of the morning so I can get them out of the post office and into the brooder as soon as possible. I seldom lose a chick.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
OK, hennypenny, I must confess, although I'll agree the silkies are cute, I don't agree that they are the cutest things ever! LOL OK well, as chicks, maybe they are, I dunno :p

Personally, I think my week old black Sumatra pullets are the cutest things ever! :lol: