HennyPenny's random thoughts. New set of goals!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I think you are supposed to use un-glazed terracotta tiles or un-colored brick pavers.

Anything dyed, painted or glazed can contain lead based pigments.

I have the same Alton Brown book.

He also recommends a big plain unglazed terracotta flowerpot without a drain hole and a terracotta pot dish to be used as a clay chicken baking pot and lid.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Oh another good Alton Brown hint : place uncolored paving bricks or firebrick in the bottom of your oven to act as a heat sink. You don't cook on those or even take them out of the oven ever - just let them set. They get hot and then hold the heat - releasing it ever so slowly. This is supposed to make your oven bake much more evenly and produce better baked goods.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Right on right!! (Didn't know about the bricks!)

I have a flower pot that I baked chicken in thanks to him!! It comes out crispy and yummy!:p

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Interesting thoughts about using the terracotta bricks. A Lowe's is on my way home, so it would be no trouble to pop in and take a look. I'll look for untreated.

And while I'm there I will look for the drain cleaner that is 100% lye! Because my fingers are itching to try soap making. ITCHING. I learned something interesting the other day... My store carries lard! I had no idea. So I can get everything locally, which is good. I made a nice long list of things will be put to permanent use soap making. Most of it I can get at Goodwill, like the stirring utensils and such.

This site is inspiring me to try canning. Well. I have a certain phobia to get over before I can do anything. Botulism! AHhhhhhh. I'm quite certain that if I can I will get it and DIE. *shudder* My community college has a canning class, I think. I may do that sometime. I don't have a garden to can my own food, but I could always get things from the farmers market in season, and locally. (and cheap!)

One of the things I would like to do eventually is can my own cat food. I have a real problem buying commercial chicken because of the horrible conditions, so this could be a problem. BUT I bet buying a whole chicken would be nicer to everything than the silly cans I buy. I buy the CHEAPEST Friskies cans, and I just know they're not good for Charlie. But I don't trust the high-end cat food either! Bleck. But I do know that wet is better than dry food, so at least I have that.

I just used my homemade laundry soap! And it worked great! I did the powdered recipe. 1/2 cup borax, 1/2 cup washing soda, 1 cup grated Fels Naptha. The laundry was pretty soiled (can anyone say homemade feminine products?) , and it did well.

I have a Keurig coffee maker. In retrospect I realize I shouldn't have bought a coffee maker that makes me buy very expensive "K-cups" to use, but I can't change it now. I can buy a "My K-cup" which allows me to use loose grounds. It's hit and miss, from what I read on Amazon.com. Either it works well, and there is no problem, or the coffee it produces is weak, or the silly thing breaks. Good thoughts, though! Maybe I'll be a person that loves it. Then I can buy good ol' Folgers and get cups for ten cents each, as opposed to fifty cents. And still use my lovely machine. :love

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The easiest soap to learn to make in my opinion is Castile, which is 100% olive oil. Also available at the grocery store! :D All you need is a big bottle of olive oil (grade A or less is best for soap) and the lye.

Never fear about the canning thing - WE can teach you.

Item # 1 Ball's Blue Book. It is a very easy and complete canning guide for first timers and pretty cheap. Then you need jars (pint is the most versatile) and something to can. I recommend making jam or canning tomatoes or fruit for beginners!

We got you through the soap making .... The REST IS EASY!;)

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Farm Fresh- I'm totally going to get started with the soap making!! I could make my own Castile Soap, and then use it for shampoo. I'm currently using Castile soap I bought from Rose Mountain Herb, and I like it very much. I'm going to accumulate all the non-perishable supplies first, and go from there! I want to use an old bread crumb container to get round bars! Teehee.

Great news! A while ago I started using a Fred Meyer card, and gave my mom a second card that is in my name. So we've both been using them a lot. The first "rewards" cycle finished right after we started using them, and I got a bunch of coupons, and a total of about $8 off. I didn't think much of it. $8 off is better than nothing.

So the next cycle ended, and I got the coupons. A total of $45 dollars off! There aren't any problematic exclusions. They are split up into three coupons, BUT you can use them all at once, as long as the purchase total is more than $45. I'm so excited. I know it's not a lot of money, but I can eat for a while on that.

There are also some other coupons, like $5.00 off a meat purchase, and $5.00 off a soda purchase. (with your purchase of at least $5.00) I haven't had soda in SO LONG. And now I could get some for free? I'm all happy, since I have $35 to get me to next Friday.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
or... invest in the lye and olive oil and have enough soap and shampoo for close to a year.

If you figure up how much each bar of soap and bottle of shampoo costs THAT is a lot of money!

or ... invest in the "blue book" (some grocery stores sell that even) and some jars - and learn a skill that will last forever.

Think about it.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You're totally right! The store won't have the lye, but I can pick up the olive oil, and maybe a scale. Do you have any advice on digital or regular? They do have a decent book section, so I could check for the canning book. I have a massive Fred Meyers, so you never know what they'll have. They even mix paint, and have furniture!

Oh, what about a stick mixer? Does it really make that big of a difference?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Go stick mixer!

Yes - they really help.

I just use a good regular scale - it must be accurate to the oz.

The store might even surprise you and carry some lye. Look in the drain cleaner section for 100% lye.

I will get my recipe out and see how much olive oil you will need to buy.

I usually buy the gallon size from my local Sam's Club, but the stuff can be pricey and I know how it is to live on a tight budget.

Just remember something like a stick mixer, a scales, or a dozen jars will be very useful and last a LONG time!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Check your local smaller hardware stores for the lye, too.

As for the catfood, you can also freeze it until you get brave and buy a pressure canner. I saw some nice Presto smaller ones at WalMart this week. But freezing will work just fine, and won't take yet another investment for you right now.

With all the interest in canning right now, you may find one cheap after the season on craigslist, when someone decides that canning is not for them!

Latest posts