HennyPenny's random thoughts. New set of goals!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I got the triplex! I will get a lot of lamps, and then it will be okay. I'm not as worried about the other tenants. The one that is basically the representative of the owners, used to be in the Navy, and has live there for years. While it has been vacant, they left the door unlocked, because they weren't worried about anything. :hu I dunno if I mentioned the good things before, I was concentrating on the bad. (The dark!)

-It has a wood burning fireplace.

-I will only have to pay for electric (and cable, duh)

-The carpet is the berber type stuff, (I don't care if it's cheap, it's easy for me to maintain with cat hair and such)

-My until is a corner unit, so only one wall of the second bedroom is a shared wall

-Location! It's 4 minutes from Freddy's, 2 minutes from the Post Office, 9 minutes from the library, etc

-I have a garage. It's not connected to my place, but still.

-The owners are replacing all the windows this summer! And making one of them larger! Yay for less drafts.

-The owners seem nice. I know, things could change, but right now they seem pleasant.

-The fridge and dishwasher are relatively new.

-I like the kitchen and living room layout. The kitchen faces the living room, so that if you have people over, you are not separated.

-The kitchen is the brightest area in the place. Yes, the rest of it is pretty dark, but lets face it, I spend so much time in the kitchen it's good it's bright.

Okay, I feel better. I was super cranky this morning. (Hello PMS!) Especially because my mom woke me up early to see if we could move this weekend. Um, no? I can't get the people to help, I'd have to go rent the truck NOW, and my cars service engine soon light is on. I won't drive on I-5, through Seattle with it like that. So anyway, it looks like next weekend for SURE I will be moving!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm officially moving on Saturday and Sunday! We'll load the truck here on Saturday, then drive down Sunday morning to avoid Seattle (and Everett and Tacoma) traffic. Now that it's so soon, I'm actually pretty sad. I like it here. Oh well, I just have to re-read my previous post and be positive. It's happening, and lots of GOOD will come of it.

I guess the owners of the triplex are taking advantage of some weatherization thing, so it turns out that I probably qualify to get my electric bill reduced.

It's so cold here! I feel for all of you melting in the heat! Could we get just 10 degrees of that? It's a pitiful 57 here, and it's the middle of the afternoon!

I suppose I should go pack now...

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Hey, I am enjoying the cool weather! I am taking advantage of it and transplanting veggies, etc. You know summer doesn't officially start here until July 12 anyway, right?

I'm glad you are finally getting to move. I know you have been wanting to for some time now. I hope this new place is going to be better suited to you! :)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Congrats on getting the place! A new friend of mine is moving and she has the same issue, the place is very dark & shaded. She's painting everything she can eggshell :)

I would trade you 20 of our degrees. It is 93* outside right now... And muggy... Ick

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I'm feeling better about it today. I mean, I haven't been able to do anything with my current place for over a year. Since it's been for sale, if I want to do something that will cost money I think why bother? I'm just going to leave soon. So now when I move, I can do whatever. I could paint the living room neon green, and the owners wouldn't care as long as I paint over it if I move out.

It's still pretty cold. It's mid afternoon, and 56. I know, I know, it's Washington. But even for us this time of year is usually warmer. Although, I'd rather it be cold then warm. Last year we broke all sorts of records in this state with an evil heat wave.

Arg arg. Lets face it, I'm spending time online because I have to go find more boxes. I'm being a big baby and don't want to go.:th I have a billion things to do, and just want to sit here. I changed my mailing address, car insurance, and made an appointment to hook up my tv/internet at the new place. I'm color coding my boxes, and furniture. I got a bunch of colored card stock, and re-stickable glue sticks from my mom. (basically makes normal paper into a post-it note)

1. Kitchen- blue
2. Bedroom- yellow
3. Living room- green
4. Bathroom- pink
5. Guest room- purple
6. Garage- white
7. Closet- cream

Then I write the contents of each box on one side of the colored card stock, and the room on the other. I stick the contents side down on the box. So that each box has a big bright note stating "Kitchen", but I can peel it off, and read what the heck is in it. Wow I'm OCD. I'm also going to draw a diagram of where the furniture is going in the new place, and stick notes on the walls. Also have to decide what snacks to buy/make for the people coming to help. All I can decide on is a fruit and veggie plate and drinks. What else?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Today, my dad told me about "the summer it rained all summer." Apparently he was a little kid and didn't care, but his mother went nuts because it was only sunny for like two days all summer. :lol:

But what isn't funny is that I read that people's honeybees are starting to suffer from the lack of good foraging weather.

I would add crackers and cheese and/or peanut butter to your snack plan. JMO.

You may want to consider writing the box contents down twice -- stick one note on the outside and one inside the box. Yes, I know, even more OCD, but then in case a sticky note comes off in the hustle and bustle of moving (assuming other people are not going to be as careful as you would be), you will at least still be able to open the box and know what is inside. :hu

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I'm with noobie. I will trade you at least 20 degrees. Right now its 95 on my front porch. And its in ths shade with 3 fans going while we can tomatos and shell peas.

Good luck with the move.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not dead, it just took me a week to get my internet hooked up! The move went okay... Had to unload in the pouring rain, but had like 6 people, so it took less then an hour. I've said it before, and I'll say it again... It's DARK in here. I just went from the brightest modern house ever, to an old dark unit in a triplex, so there's bound to be some emotional backlash, right? There might be a solution, but it is not for sure yet so I will not explain it, but it would help so much. ( :fl :fl )

Anyway, I moved in on Sunday and started working in the office on Monday. So I'm not even close to unpacked. Like, at all. I'm in the process of scrubbing the kitchen inside and out because I swear it was not cleaned before I moved it. :sick So I can't unpack the kitchen until I finish scrubbing, and put in shelf liner. Also, I ran out of shelf liner.

In the few days I was in the office, we got a couple of good jobs! I'm so excited because I took the initial calls! Granted, I don't have anything else to do with it, other than make a file with a map and give it to the guy to handle it from there, but still! I helped! My parents have been struggling with this economy as many are. It used to be that if we did 10 bids for roofs, we would get 8 of them. Now we can do 20 bids and get NONE. So it's great that we for sure have two. One is a large horse arena, super expensive, and a good profit too! Oh, and we started another business. It basically is fixing up bank owned homes so they can be sold. Instead of someone at the bank having to call 5 different people to deal with the roof/lawn/drywall/plumbing/electrical, they call us and we deal with those problems. It's really a great thing (if it works out!) because we would not be bidding on anything. The bank would just send us a checklist of what they want done. Boom, work. We already have all the other businesses (electrician, etc) lined up and ready to go. All these people are really hurting for jobs, too. So they are psyched about this.

Okay I should unpack something.... I will not post pictures until I can do so without cringing. Gah the dark! The stupid 70s curtains cover like 1/3rd of the window even when pulled. But I'm too broke (and have no time) to buy curtain rods and fabric for new ones. Okay, no more complaining. One more story. There is another triplex building besides mine. Our sliding doors face each other. The lady has 4 cats. She leaves her door open a bit so they can go in and out. I looked out and saw a raccoon looking in her door. Then it went inside. Her house. INSIDE. RACCOON. A few minutes later I see one of the cats sitting on her porch, then the raccoon comes out, half swats at the cat, then rambles back inside. Btw, have I mentioned that I hate raccoons? :th