HennyPenny's random thoughts. New set of goals!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Wow....that's crazy! I saw something like that on America's Funniest Home Videos one time, raccoon kept coming in through the doggie door! It was really funny :lol:

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Have seen the raccoon twice now. I wonder if it's old, since I hardly ever see just ONE raccoon.

I have windows open because this place has a distinct shut in smell. I'm not sure what, if anything, can get rid of this kind of smell. The place is not dirty or moldy. I would say that it smells like I imagine the 70s smelled like. Only I don't smell pot. :rolleyes:

It's amazing how huge a network of people my parent's business communicates with. They call constantly, and drop by randomly. For example, a person we work with came by today with fresh produce because he's trying to start a CSA thing next year. I got salad mix cut this very morning, it's yummy. Also, I always used to think that working for your parents was kind of a fake job. You know, your boss is your dad. But it's actually really hard and stressful. I guess it's easier if we weren't competing against totally illegal companies. Or ones that will be out of business in a month. But hey things are finally picking up again!

Still not unpacked.

...okay I should do that now. :(

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
New place is okay. If they don't go with us for the roof, it will be super awkward though. :/ I really really hope they do! Still might have a way to make it brighter in the place, but they didn't sound very positive. They didn't say no, but the tone was not good. If they say no, I will probably move after my lease is up in a year. Only, this price is very good, so I dunno if I could afford to move. I like the place, other than the fact that it is so dark. I knew it was dark, so this is really my fault. But knowing that doesn't help when I have to have lights on 24/7, and I can barely wake up in the morning because my room is so dim.

Okay, I only have a couple windows that get any light, ever, and I want to put my indoor plants there. But my cat keeps trying to eat them! I used to have them on a window sill where he couldn't see them, but I have no options now. I don't know how to stop him! The only plant he doesn't try to eat is my french lavender, lol.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Major drama! I left the windows open when I went to work today, since it's suddenly been super hot. When I get home, no meowing kitty, nothing. One of the screens fell off, and he got out! Omg, I panicked. I know, it's just a cat, but he's mine and I would feel terrible if something happened to him! So I run around to the back and start calling him. Went to tell my neighbor, then continued. Suddenly I hear his distinctive "I'm unhappy" meow! I spend probably 45 minutes in sandals crawling around in solid berry bushes trying to find him. He would meow once or twice, then not make a sound for long enough to make me worry. Finally I got smart and just stayed in one place and called and called. After a while he came creeping out of the bushes. :th

On another note, I can't deny it. I don't really like it here. I've listed all the good things to try to trick myself into liking it, but I just DON'T. It's dark, and from what I hear from the other tenants, the owners (while sweet) just want to keep it livable, and nothing more. They want to do the cheapest job, preferably with duct tape, and that's all. I know, this is probably normal for landlords, but I don't like it. So what am I going to do about it?

I was thinking, live here a few years while saving up to by some land and a cheap travel trailer. Live on land for more years, then buy a modular/mobile home. Insert large garden, and livestock. Sound reasonable? I think I could do it... By the time all's said and done I would be in my early 30s or if things go very well, late 20s. That's not too bad I think...

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think your plan sounds great... if you could find a cheap mobile home in a park to start with for now that would be even better than paying rent for a few years... at least you would be building equity.

I bought a trailer like that 6 years ago, paid it off in three years... then sold it for a slight profit and bought our run down old farm house... we're fixing this place to sell and use as a down payment on our dream farm... it's a 10 year plan to get a farm with little/no mortgage on it... really similar to what you want to do!

I say it's a wonderful plan... :thumbsup

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Aw, we had our two kitties get out last summer. Forgot to close the glass sliding door and they jimmied the screen door open. They were out all night. I found Nemo, the male, the next morning, hanging out with the strays that my neighbor feeds. Couldn't find Molly anywhere. Called, put fliers in neighbors' mailboxes, the local vet's office, etc... I was heartbroken. That night I set food and water out on our deck and in the morning it was gone. The next night we set up our video camera to see if it was indeed Molly who was eating the food. Sure enough, she came and ate, then scratched at the door to get in. When she couldn't, she left again. I felt awful! So I stayed up the rest of the night and left the door partly open. I went to the bathroom at one point and came out to find her standing in the hallway. Phew!! Long three days, sure that we'd lost her.
Anyway! I'm glad you found your kitty too! :hugs
I think your plan sounds good too. Find the right spot then build to suit!

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Henrietta- I'm glad you found your cats! I have no idea how long Charlie was out. I left in the morning at 8:00, and got home at 3:00. I'm happy he didn't freak and run too far away! I'm also happy that he has such a loud obnoxious meow. :cool:

I'm glad my plan doesn't sound bad. When telling my mom about it, she just replied with "you just want to get out of that triplex any way you can, don't you?" Like I'm not serious. Though in her defense, this is the first I've mentioned it. I forgot that mom and my step dad built a spec house years ago, so I probably could build a house with their help. And my dad and mom built our log cabin, too.

I wonder if we could buy anything at this point. I mean, the place I just moved from is still for sale. The bank refused the offer we had. The offer was for $266k, and the bank says that our house is worth $303k. Hah. Joke's on them! In Bellingham, you can buy a 2,000+ sq ft brand new home with granite counters and wood floors for that much. (Mine is 1,700 sq ft, mostly carpet, and 10 year old counters...) I guess our realtor sent over a huge packet of comparisons, and statistics of what is really going on, but who knows if that will work. No wonder there are so many foreclosures! We tried to do things right. We put it up for sale until we couldn't afford payments, then got it to be a short sale. Now that process is painfully long, (I think almost four months) and they are going to say no?

But if we could buy a mobile home in a park, hey, this is GH! The few parks, are quite nice. In a minute of searching I found one for less than $30k. It looks nicer than the place I'm in right now, and a lot newer, and is brighter. I also think it's the same one my aunt lives in, and if so, the whole place is really clean and safe.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Hey HP, you enjoying the "cool down"? I thought my poor dogs were gonna die these last few days. We have had to take them to the sound every day to get wet.

You know, last weekend I took a drive through old town GH by the water, it was so pretty! I also work out at that YMCA, but seldom go down town.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yeah, it's basically perfect right now! 76! It went from like 63, to 93 in two days, which is not fun.

Lol, "old town." I never thought of it that way. I just though of it as the Harbor. The YMCA by Costco? That's definitely the new area of the Harbor. I have a love/hate relationship with North Gig Harbor. I hate those roundabouts with a passion. But I like Costco. :rolleyes: I also miss my old Fred Meyer, which was huge and always had a lot of checkers open, and tons of self checkouts. I'm not usually for the bigger stores, but why can't they properly staff the little store here? I feel bad for the clerks, since they have no control over scheduling. Even when the store is mostly empty of customers, the lines are still long, since there's only one or two sad lanes open. This is still the case when it's busy. I can't win.

Parents are in Yakima for a funeral, so I have to remember to go shut in the chickens, and let them out tomorrow morning. Yay for the duck trying to bill me. Silly drake.

Latest posts