HennyPenny's random thoughts. New set of goals!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Don't forget I'm new around here. :p I just figured it was called old town b/c there seems to be a new part of GH.

Anyway, I wasn't too fond of GH until I spent more time with the real locals. Some of the transplants seemed very stand-off-ish. They mainly went to the Y when it first opened.

Anyway, I think it is growing on me. There is a bar there that I hear you can dock you boat right up to...sounds like fun.

Where is the Freddys?

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe now it's called that, all the new construction (North GH, Costco, the hospital, etc) happened either right before I moved away or when I was in Bellingham.

For a while, maybe still, GH had a flood of California transplants who kept trying to tear down all the cool old stuff. I wonder if you came across some of them. They seemed to band into a big group and look down on the rest of us who had lived here a long time. It is very strange. I took it badly, since my great great grandparents homesteaded an area of GH. Until I moved out, my last name was also my street name. Anyway, it's so touristy now that I can't blame anyone for not immediately liking it here.

Either the Tides Tavern or Anthony's has a dock, possibly both. I wouldn't bother with Anthony's though. Yucky. We were so sad when the old fish and chips place that used to be there was bought out.

Freddy's is off of Olympic Dr, near the highway.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Tides, that's it. Anthony's is the chain right?

Cool about the street name.

Yeah, GH has lots of neat history. That harbor view is to die for. We, here in PO, get to look at the Navy shipyard and Bremerton from our port. We spend lots of time in Manchester where our view is of Seattle, Blake Island and Mt. Ranier.

And yup, I am certain it was the snooty CA suburb types that gave me the wrong first impression. (Please, no offence to my non-snooty CA peeps!! Ya'll are the cat's meow!)

eta: there is a "n" in Manchester. :rolleyes:

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Anthony's is a chain. I've never been in the Tides (no kids allowed!) but the building is really old, about 100 years. Everyone likes it, and I guess the food is good too. Another option, though it doesn't have a view, is the Hy-Iu-Hee-Hee. I see it has very mixed reviews online, but I've never heard much bad about it. It's kind of a dive, but who wants a snobby bar? what i'm saying is this...this has got to be one of the most authentic, unsleazy, genuine dive bars left in the West...unfettered by the monotonous hipsters and partronized by locals. --random review I found that made me smile. I guess they just don't care about moving with the times, lol.

Blackbird- Totally! I bet land prices are less ridiculous where you are, too.

I just found out that my neighbor used to be a contractor, and knows my step dad! He hired him to do some roofs about 20 years ago! Crazy. This is one thing I like about GH. It's small enough that you see people you know, all the time. At the store, the bank, the post office, driving... If you need to hire someone, you almost always just call a friend who has a window cleaning/pest control/dry wall/car repair business. It's kinda nice.

Latest posts