Hen's kefir and kombucha thread-is it ready??

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Just looking for reinstruction on rehydrating the kefir grains you gave me. Thanks!
The kombucha is started and resting in a quiet cupboard. The thing has a face!! I'm going to name it. It looks like the man in the moon, but it's a mother. So how 'bout Mother in the Moon... or Luna? It's a little scary looking truth be told. :cool:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I like Luna!!
It's certainly easier.... It is the name of a friend's sheep though :/ And she's the one who will get the first offspring if I don't kill it. :lol:

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Henrietta23 said:
Just looking for reinstruction on rehydrating the kefir grains you gave me. Thanks!
The kombucha is started and resting in a quiet cupboard. The thing has a face!! I'm going to name it. It looks like the man in the moon, but it's a mother. So how 'bout Mother in the Moon... or Luna? It's a little scary looking truth be told. :cool:
I feel normal now. :D :gig

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Um.....this does NOT mean you are normal...... :p

I put my grains in a small amount of milk in a glass jar, maybe half a cup at first. Leave them at room temp overnight in low or no light. If mine were in a cupboard I would forget them forever, so don't obsess on the light part. I now keep mine in my milking kit so that they are mostly dark and I have to re-pack the kit twice a day so I cannot forget them.

Strain the kefir daily but not with a metal strainer. Use your fingers to feel for them...there will be little chunks of firmer kefir and maybe white protein chunks (?) but the grains will feel firm when lightly pressed between your fingers. Or you can make a strainer like I did with the bottom of a small plastic bottle drilled with a few small holes that you then set into a funnel to strain the kefir from one jar into another. Then put the reserved grains into a fresh jar of milk.

As the kefir starts to smell good, like food, you can increase the amount of milk up to a quart for a plump grain or two. Feed the first few batches to the dogs or hens, and start saving it for you when it smells good. With those grains, not transported and handled very little and stored well, they should be good in about 3-4 days. That is what it took me when I started up again with the same batch of grains this past spring. Using fresh, warm goat's milk hurries the process along, too. It took about a week for me the first time, using grains that traveled a long, long ways by plane to get here. So lurkers be aware that your mileage may vary.

You have enough grains to put some back in the freezer in a safe corner (maybe in a bag and into a larger jar since the container I gave you is so tiny!) for when you lose your grains. Betcha will! I've done it several times now. :rolleyes: Too much going on here!

I simply look at the supply of made kefir I have and adjust the amount of milk up or down according to anticipated need. If you need a break, rinse them and store them in filtered water in a glass jar in the fridge for two weeks, then start them up again. I find it easier to just make it daily, and give excess away and to the dogs, who whine for it every night when I filter it.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to set them in a half cup of milk tonight. So when I strain them and add them to a bigger portion of milk tomorrow what do I cover them with? Jar lid, cloth.. I know you told me this already.....

ETA: Was not ready to send that!!!

At some point this past year I bought a set of strainers made from plastic and non metal mesh!! whoot!!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I use the tight-fitting jar lid. The tighter the lid, the better your chances are for a effervescent kefir. Supposedly.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
I use the tight-fitting jar lid. The tighter the lid, the better your chances are for a effervescent kefir. Supposedly.
Awesome!! Thanks :celebrate Off to set out a half cup of milk to warm to room temp. :weee :weee :weee :weee :weee

I think I will name the grains the Brady Bunch. Or maybe the Partridge Family.......

Who says I'm not normal? :idunno

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Not counting here on ss.....what is considered "normal" by most of the world is NOT what I want to be! :D

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Not counting here on ss.....what is considered "normal" by most of the world is NOT what I want to be! :D
No kidding!!
I brought two flavors of chevre to a church gathering today. I also had Donki herself there. There were people thoroughly intrigued to eat cheese from a goat they could pet. Some just smiled and walked away. :rolleyes:
Luna, the Mother in the Moon, is resting quietly. The Partridge Family have plumped up nicely and are sitting in the freshest Donki milk I had, this morning's. I think I've got Keith and Lori in there at this point.