Hepatitis B vaccine

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It has been suggested that I need/(will be required?) to take the hepatitis B vaccine because of the people I come into contact with at work. I have tried to research transmission of hep B and side effects (a staggering list)of the vaccine. I have found many contradictions.

I have read that it can not be transmitted by casual contact or by saliva, coughing, etc. However, I have also read that if you travel to an area where there is a high incidence, you should be vaccinated.

One place states that there is no cure, and another says that 90% of those that contract it as an adult will be fully recovered and virus free in six months.

My gut response is to avoid the vaccine, but I am open to listening to others that know about this. I admit that I am quite ignorant on this topic. Any views that can be offered will be appreciated. Thanks

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Our oldest son contracted Hep B from his travels in India. Between that and malaria, he was sick every month for several days, getting worse each time, finally hospitalized for days - he couldn't even hold a spoon to feed himself.
Since his initial visit to India required him to have all the vaccinations....well, I don't know.

Unfortunately he is currently in a really remote part of India and is not able to check email. By the time I can get an answer from him on whether or not he still is considered to have that virus, you'll probably have made your decision. I know the malaria he'll always have, but it's easily treated. But neither DH or I know about the hep B.

If it was me, I'd get the vaccination. I sure wouldn't want to go through what he did.

JMO

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I used to work in the field of dentistry, and it is recommended that health care workers in that field get the vaccine. I had it and had no trouble whatsoever. If I remember correctly it was more than one however and hurt!
Sorry.

But I'd rather not get hepatitis B. I have a friend that has it, she is a "carrier" now. She was extremely ill for longer than a month. I don't want to catch that!

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I posted this about a month ago but there is new trials with ultraviolet light which treats a small portion of blood that has been infected and from what the study said that it was 80-90 percent effective in hepatitis. And practically 100 percent in all of the viruses like flu's including h1n1. This would be great for people with these diseases, obviously this isnt a preventative measure....its very interesting that cure tO most disease that harm humans can be stopped with a basic device...

mangled

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
As director of infection control at several large healthcare facilities, I have given literally hundreds of doses of hep B vaccine. I don't ever recall anyone returning with any complaints of side effects.

I've had the initial vaccine plus a booster shot. A titer drawn a few years ago showed I needed one. My initial vaccination was in 1995.

Hepatitis B is pretty serious. It will make you quite sick for quite a while. While I'm generally anti-vaccine, I would definitely be vaccinated for it. My children have had the vaccine as well.

Blessings-
Em

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Em. thanks for your post and I see that it's your first one, so welcome to the forum! :frow

Take a moment and introduce yourself at the 'where are you' thread.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My husband and I had to have the vaccine when we traveled overseas. Neither of us had an side effects from it.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If you click on this link you should get the CDC fact sheet on the vaccine.
http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis/downloads/vis-hep-b.pdf
Yes the CDC has a pro vaccine bias, but these fact sheets have been reviewed in depth by the anti vaccine groups. You are supposed to be provided a copy of the fact sheet and time to read it Before you get the vaccine but many doctors and clincs fail to do so. I think you said it was a job requirement, very few (if any) places that have the requirement will employ you if you refuse. they will risk an employment suit rather than be stuck with medical bills for life. This is a truly nasty virus!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hate needles but my physician recommended the Hep B vaccination before I traveled to China. I didn't have any problems.

There was some issue about whether the vaccine would take. They told me that it was completely effective if you took the whole series of shots and got a positive antibody test afterwards.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had to take it as well for work, due to clientele I have contact with. I had the initial vaccine & 1 or 2 boosters (can't remember for sure). No side effects that I recall.