Herb book

Strysa

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion on a really good herb book. I started growing herbs a few years back, but use them for the sole purpose of cooking. I would like to fine a book that can tell me all of the herb properties or if they can be used for medical purposes as well. I was also wondering how everyone feels about planting them in containers. I have always just grown them in pots on my deck so they are easy access to my kitchen. Has anyone had any experience with just planting them in a bed? My grandmother was telling me that they will not grow as plentiful if they are in pots. Not sure if this is just something that she has been told or if there is any truth behind it. The pots I grown in a fairly large, so the herbs have lots of space to stretch their roots.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

I have numerous herb books, but none of them are as complete as what you are asking for. I don't think any one book could be. I usually like to check several sources anyway when looking up medicinal benefits. There are so many old wive's tales out there concerning herbs, and sometimes authors just parrot back something they have heard without actually having the knowledge, IMO.
This woman has a very extensive data base on many herbs. You might find it interesting.

http://www.henriettesherbal.com/blog/index.html

There is nothing wrong with planting your herbs in pots if it works for you. I would make sure that the pot is big enough (sounds like you do that), and also that you give the plants appropriate fertilizer as needed. Potted plants use up the nutrients in their little "world" fairly quickly. Personally, for medicinal and culinary plants especially, my choice is an organic or natural fertilizer.

Tatter

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been involved in herbs for a few years now and can recommend one of the best herb books to hit the market in recent years is by Miranda Smith "Your Backyard Herb Garden" http://www.amazon.com/Your-Backyard-Herb-Garden-Gardeners/dp/0875969941 this book is full of colored pages, none of the black and white crap you see in most books. I always recommend this book to folks beginners - experts alike since it's easy to understand and easy on the eyes when it comes to print. Though I have few herb books (don't really need many to cover my area), this one gets opened the most.