Herb garden

DebFred

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi All.

I am wanting to start my own herb garden. I want to grow all types of herbs, both medicinal, and for food. Any input? :)

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I personally have had great luck with camomile, lavender, rosemary, basil, thyme, and feverfew. Feverfew is good for migrains and is a super fast growing plant. camomile comes back every year and is the best for calming teas. I like mine with a bit of the lavender in it personally but thats just my preference.

I am adding a few others like hyssop, wormwood, peppermint and toothache plant into my line up this year. There may be a few others but its still in the searching the seed catalog and herbal book phase.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will be doing mine in raised beds, of course (have to....hurricane alley). I'm into a program of herbal studies now and have a moderate list of herbs, I feel I simply must have, but I believe as I learn more, my list will grow. I'm figuring on starting out with about 20 and learning everything I can know about those and grow from there. A lot of my herbs, don't really need to be planted because I can obtain them wild....some things, I simply have to plant.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just remember, some need to be grown in pots. Otherwise they'll take over the whole garden!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My neighbor, Muttley Crew, has a tea garden that I love. She planted several hibiscus, different mints, sages, etc. I'm trying to remember what all she has - thymes, bee balm...hmmmm

I liked basil and catnip, too. If I'd take the time, I could gather a lot wild. I did get cottonwood buds one year for Balm of Gilead, but haven't done much since.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
this could be an inseanly LONG list, you name a plant and most have some kind of medicinal properties...

in My culinary herb garden, basil, thyme (primarily lemon), and various mints are staples...(grow mint in large pots or they WILL take over)
in my "medicinal" garden Lavender (which is also edible mind you) chamomile, and lemon balm (another that will SERIOUSLY wander) are staples, however theresa long list of other herbs id REALY like...

i only right now have lemon thyme, lemon balm, and lavender about the place, but eventually plan on doing a raised beds larger scale herb/medicinal flower gerden.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I do some culinaries now, but medicinals is on my list for the coming spring.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i have been trying to decide wether to make an herb garden or grow them in pots. anyone got pros and cons of both?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It all depends on the plant. If you have something that comes up every year and spreads easily, you're probably better having it in a pot. Otherwise, it can take over the whole garden. But, those that need to be planted every year can just be planted in a bed.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
i have been trying to decide wether to make an herb garden or grow them in pots. anyone got pros and cons of both?
Don't put mint out! It takes OVER!!! I want to set most of them out except those that spread easily and those that are hard to start so we can keep them in on the porch....