Herbal Remedies for e-Coli or Salmonella

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I got food poisoning that nearly kicked my butt over the weekend. I found some herbs that really helped - the symptoms of e-Coli and Salmonella are pretty much the same, and the herbal treatment is the same. Whichever it was, I was able to keep the symptoms to something less than total misery.

FYI, it was pretty much CERTAINLY one of the two, I got it from a batch of a commercial national brand dairy product (can't share the name, even by PM this time, legal risk is too great they have HUGE batteries of lawyers). Point isn't who did it, point is, I got it, this is how I treated it, and it worked for me.

Also, the severity of it was such that it was not just a traveling stomach virus, or "the kids left the food out too long" bug. I'm typically fairly isolated from the one (and what I had does not seem to be contagious), and I'm normally immune to the other - I virtually never get sick with that kind of illness, if I do it is very mild. This is the worst I've ever had and it has hung on for days.

Calendula Tea - Antimicrobial, helps to control the bacterial spread. I used about a quarter cup of this every six hours or so.

Red Raspberry Tea - Mild anti-diarrheal, helps to reduce the dehydration associated with severe food poisoning, helps reduce cramping and paid. I used 1 cup every 2-4 hours, depending on how severe it was.

Peppermint Tea - Mild anti-microbial, bowel relaxant, very mild sedative. I used half a cup every 4-6 hours, depending on how I felt.

I'm still recovering. Came down with it Thursday, after I knew I had something that tasted different than normal (but not nasty, so didn't make the connect), Friday and Saturday were really bad, and Sunday morning I think I slept and drank tea all morning (sleep, get up, drink tea, go to the toilet, go back to sleep). By mid-day I was getting my brain back, but had no energy, by evening feeling human enough to take a bath.

This morning, still pretty wiped out, still some residual symptoms (this stuff usually goes on for a week), am still taking the tea but in lower doses, and am back to eating some normal foods, but not all. If I weren't having energy issues due to the pregnancy, I expect I'd be back to about 75% function.

All this, while I am already fighting to sustain a pretty difficult pregnancy... One reason for choosing the herbs I did, they were the least likely to be harmful to the baby.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just hope you are feeling better soon.

No thanks to whoever produced what made you sick, endangering both you AND your baby. I'd be pretty mad ... That mama-bear feeling coming out. :somad

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Another thing that really helps...kefir--made by yourself with real kefir grains. When I was researching kefir before purchasing my grains, I learned that e-coli will not grow in kefir. In fact, kefir kills it! They actually put e-coli bacteria in a batch of kefir and it was completely destroyed within 24 hours. Great stuff! It always seems to help with any stomach ailments around here.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I got my kefir grains just after I got the e-coli. They were not ready for drinking until after I'd already recovered from the bug.

Much better, somehow managed to not kill the baby, though there's a chance that if the bacteria went systemic, it may have caused some genetic damage in the baby. Nothing to do there but wait and see, since I am NOT ready to go to the doctor, and won't be for some time - I don't want to have the same battles with the doctors that I had with Sidney, no matter whether the baby has problems or not.

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Maybe lots of fresh garlic. You could put it in some yogurt or kefir with some diced cucumbers.

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Garlic is a blood thinner. I had problems with blood clots, and was pregnant, so had to use Garlic anyway, in carefully controlled doses.