Herbal Sinus Decongestant??

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
In the fall and winter I am plagued with awful sinus congestion and a nasty post-nasal drip. Are there any herbs or herbal concoctions that are helpful as a natural decongestant? My normal method of coping is a daily sudafed or claritin but I am trying to get away from putting chemicals into my body...plus I tend to get really tired if I take sudafed!!

Thanks!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Sudafed is supposed to be non-drowsy. It puts me in a freaking coma! LOL

Is it allergies you are dealing with? Or are you getting colds? Sounds more like allergies. Since they hit fall and winter, you could be allergic to something in your house. Ever have the ducts cleaned? Change your furnace filter often?

If you figure out what has got you all drippy, you might not need anything.

That being said, when I get stuffy there are two things that help me. 1) hot mint tea or 2) turmeric milk http://www.windsordairy.com/food/recipes.html#Ayurvedic milk

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have allergies in spring and fall, and I am allergic to dogs :( This is a recipe that I use occasionally, but not long-term:

1 Tablespoon dried, crushed Peppermint
1 Tablespoon dried Thyme
1 teaspoon Ephedra powder
1 teaspoon Marshmallow Root powder (or other demulcent herb, such as licorice root, mullien, or psyllium)

Combine herbs in cheesecloth and place in tea kettle. Fill with boiling water, cover, and steep 15-20 mins. This should make enough for around 3 cups of tea. You can drink a cup every few hours.

But, don't drink before bedtime, since Ephedra is a stimulant, and it may keep you awake. Also don't take Ephedra if you have high blood pressure. You could just leave the Ephedra out, but it wont be as effective, since Ephedra does wonders for opening airways and reducing congestion.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am dealing with a sinus infection right now. I do my own modified version of a net pot, and this time I put to drops of tea tree oil in the solution, as it is an antiseptic, antifungal and antibacteria. Ihave been doing this for two days, I still have congestion in my ears though, but we'll see how it works.

yourbadd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am afraid of the Neti pot :hide I have a fear that the water would somehow go down my throat (the reverse of shooting milk thru your nose :sick ). Has this ever happened to any of you?

Guess I should woman-up and just try it!! I like the idea of adding tea tree oil to remove any germs hanging out in there.

Henrietta-do you ever get chills/cold because of the wet socks??

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Don't be afraid, :) Just tilt your head sideways, and breathe out through your mouth as you are pouring. Never had it go down my throat.

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love using the Neti pot! Just remember to gently blow all of the water out of your nose. One time I didn't complete the job and when I bent over to pick up something, water came out of my nose. Fortunately, I was at home. :lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
yourbadd said:
I am afraid of the Neti pot :hide I have a fear that the water would somehow go down my throat (the reverse of shooting milk thru your nose :sick ). Has this ever happened to any of you?

Guess I should woman-up and just try it!! I like the idea of adding tea tree oil to remove any germs hanging out in there.

Henrietta-do you ever get chills/cold because of the wet socks??
Nope, just the opposite. The cold wet socks get covered by wool ones and you get right into bed. It's a little weird at first, putting cold wet socks onto warm feet but I think getting your feet good and warm first is an important step. Your feet warm up quickly once you put the wool socks on and get under your covers (especially if you've got a Golden Retriever on them-I highly recommend adding this step if possible) but they are not hot either. And I sleep really well. I wake up uncongested every time.