Herbal Studies

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Last night I wanted to nourish my body, so at about 8:45, DD7 and I went for a walk to the very first section of the orchard and picked oranges, even though it was about 50F and and quite dark. My plan was to juice them and drink a glass with ACV and think of healthy eating today, but by the time we began juicing, discovered that we weren't getting much at all. Very pulpy and dry, although tasty enough. I pulled out the blender and made a smoothy, with oranges, bananna, peach yogert and ice. I guess the cold robbed us of juice.
Well, spring time coming around (faster for me than most of you) and its getting various shades of green out, although I'm never totally out of green, so I think I'd like to start some wild harvesting and make a few tinctures. I hear DD7 coughing. Meds or herbs???? Hmmmm......Probably both, but I think I'll start working toward the day when I can eliminate the absolute need for pharacuticals.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@roda_bruce you have inspired me to be more aware of the plants around me. The sticky, pesky plant that matts the dog's fur, that I hate so much is Cleavers. Cleavers has all kinds of beneficial uses. http://www.herbs2000.com/herbs/herbs_cleavers.htm

It grows in the flower beds in my yard. The dogs eat it. After I found out what it is, I quit pulling it up. haha I will harvest Cleavers from my yard in another month or so and dry it for teas.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's something I've been wanting to do for years. I just don't seem to have enough hours in the day to get everything figured out.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do recall a bit of freaking out when I read about them myself. I need a notebook to walk around with and take notes and draw maps identifying where the cleavers, nettle, poke, plantain, etc, etc, etc.... There are lots of marshmallow growing along the road I have to take to get to the next parish and work, but my kids tell me we have some growing in the back, so maybe they can take me for a walk.
The thing to do is stumble upon a problem, then pull out some books and see what kinds of teas to make and if its an ongoing problem, determine if you should or could use that herb in a tincture. Thats how you remember the herb....by actually using it.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My nephew has been suffering with TTP for over a year and its taking its toll. The doctors have been replacing his plasma and he has already received over 250 units of plasma and about 20 packed RBC's. So now he has an enormous face with a little bitty body, because he has lost so much muscle and is pumped up with sterioid.
So I am searching out remedies for TTP. All I've found so far is a doctor in England has this diagnosis and she swears by billberry tea, but I can't find the rational for her belief.
I don't have the leaves, but I do have the tablets from the fruit, that I can give him until I can get the tea. His mother is open to the suggestion and will be speaking to him. He is at dialysis right now.
I put this problem up on Susan's Weeds forum and waiting for responses, while I try to find out about alternative treatments.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
What is TTP? I've never heard of it.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. I wondered too, so I googled it. Still don't know nuthin'.

Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura (TTP) is a rare blood disorder. In TTP, blood clots form in small blood vessels throughout the body.
The clots can limit or block the flow of oxygen-rich blood to the body's organs, such as the brain, kidneys, and heart. As a result, serious health problems can develop.
The increased clotting that occurs in TTP also uses up platelets (PLATE-lets) in the blood. Platelets are blood cell fragments that help form blood clots. These cell fragments stick together to seal small cuts and breaks on blood vessel walls and stop bleeding.
With fewer platelets available in the blood, bleeding problems can occur. People who have TTP may bleed inside their bodies, underneath the skin, or from the surface of the skin. When cut or injured, they also may bleed longer than normal.
"Thrombotic" (throm-BOT-ik) refers to the blood clots that form. "Thrombocytopenic" (throm-bo-cy-toe-PEE-nick) means the blood has a lower than normal number of platelets. "Purpura" (PURR-purr-ah) refers to purple bruises caused by bleeding under the skin.
Bleeding under the skin also can cause tiny red or purple dots on the skin. These pinpoint-sized dots are called petechiae (peh-TEE-kee-ay). Petechiae may look like a rash.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/health-topics/topics/ttp/

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hope you can find something to give him some relief.
:hugs

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Sorry so late, but you know....working weekends. Well, I am just waiting for responses on Susan's Weeds and I have requested to be contacted by a doctor in England who has this disorder....just for whatever knowledge she can pass to me.