herbal teas

Reuse-it

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have decided that I spend about twenty dollars or more a month on herbal teas. I would be better off making my own herbal teas.

I am drying some clementine peel and some tangerine peel now. I did not get raspberry canes in time for this season-Florida is more blackberry oriented. So I thought I could use blackberry leaves instead.

Now, my questions are: Do any of you have any good recipes? What herb seeds should I purchase?
I grow hibiscus, but which type do they use for the teas?
Is there anything else that would make a good tea? I was wondering if chopped up dried citrus fruit would be worth the effort. I have not seen it in the prepackaged stuff.
Thanks. :)

HEChicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Great topic - I'll be following this myself. I also enjoy herbal teas throughout the year but particularly in the winter, I drink several cups a day. The only two flavors I really enjoy are Licorice and Peppermint. I occasionally drink Chamomile but have to really be in the mood. I did find that Dollar Tree sells a box of Peppermint tea that contains 30 bags for only $1 so I keep a steady supply of that on hand and it actually doesn't cost me that much. However I have both spearmint and peppermint growing in my garden in the summer, and found a dehydrator at the thrift store for $3 just last week so I really should just plan on making my own this year.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I drink herbal teas frequently. I purchase some at stores, but I grow a lot of my own herbs as well. The homegrown herbal teas are definately better tasting in my opinion. I get my seeds and any herbs I don't grow myself from Mountain Rose Herbs.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Some of my favorite herbal teas are:

Catnip
German Chamomile
Peppermint
Passion Flower
Lemon Balm
Lemon Grass
Thyme

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Most of the herbal teas you buy in the grocery store have things in them like bits of citrus peel...but the flavor comes from oils that they add to the tea, not from that tiny chunk of whatever you see in the bag. Other than the normal leafy tea herbs. To get a strong flavor from certain things, you need to simmer.

Not all teas, of course, but prepare yourself for the reality that your homemade teas will not be exactly like Celestial Seasonings or Stash or Yogi.

My favorite is my chai spice. I'll find the link.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMhETEOfVNA There is another one for chai tea bags there, too. Drinking some now!

Ohioann

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love mint tea for any kind of mint. I raise a lot of my own and dry it. I have used a dehydrator but also like to put the sprigs of mint in a paper bag and put it in the refrigerator. The 'frige' method is slow but makes a great product.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ohioann said:
I love mint tea for any kind of mint. I raise a lot of my own and dry it. I have used a dehydrator but also like to put the sprigs of mint in a paper bag and put it in the refrigerator. The 'frige' method is slow but makes a great product.
Interesting. I think I'll have to give this a go...

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ohioann said:
Agree, mint tea is lovely and it's easy to dry. You can also put it straight into a small pot and bring to the boil.

Reuse-it

Power Conserver
Reaction score
calendula said:
I drink herbal teas frequently. I purchase some at stores, but I grow a lot of my own herbs as well. The homegrown herbal teas are definately better tasting in my opinion. I get my seeds and any herbs I don't grow myself from Mountain Rose Herbs.

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/

Some of my favorite herbal teas are:

Catnip
German Chamomile
Peppermint
Passion FlowerLemon Balm
Lemon Grass
Thyme
When you say passion flower, you mean passion fruit flowers? I think they call them May Pops around here.
I am growing the rest that you mentioned. Have any of you grown bergamot? I think I spelled it correctly. I believe it is a blue flower. I had some bergamot tea once, and it was so yummy. I have never heard of anyone growing it around here, and I do not know if it is the leaves or flowers that they use.
and as one poster mentioned, it may have been the oils that made the difference.
I may just need to go visit the library and see what i can find.

I an drinking a lemon/ginger tea right now.
I believe it is lemon grass.
When you use the lemon grass, do you use the white heart, or the green blades?
I may have to go over to the easy gardener and see how to grow these things. Florida isn't as great a place to garden as on might think. The season is very short, if it warms up early we are good, but it gets too hot too quick for most things to survive past May.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I think maypops are the same thing as what I am talking about (Passion Flower - Passiflora incarnata). I do not grow passion flower myself since it more of a tropical plant, but it might do well in Florida. I purchase dried passion flower, and I believe it is made up of the stems and leaves of the plant. Passion flower is a calming herb. I have trouble falling asleep sometimes, so I will make a tea to drink before bed. I usually mix it with other calming herbs, like catnip and chamomile. The fruit is also edible from what I understand.

Bergamot does make a good tea too. It grows wild in WI as a puplish flower, also known as "bee balm." I think it is the leaves that are used it tea, but the flowers are edible.

I also believe you can use any part of the lemon grass plant for cooking, but for the tea, I think is just the grassy tops.

Florida is hot! I've been there once--in July!

Reuse-it

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks!
I do dry calendula petals and use them in rice.
They are one of my favorite flowers... when I can get them to germinate!
thank you calendula!