Heritage turkey breeds for Midwest / USDA Zone 3 and 4?

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Maybe there, but here they sell for $75-100 at that size. The most I've seen is my brother in law in CT who sells them for $7.99/lb. And it's hard to market heritage birds. Most people want farm raised broad breasted here. I loved the heritage birds, I'd get more but I lost my taste for poultry when I was pregnant with DD2 and never got it back. They're expensive to raise if not everyone in the family (particularly the primary cook!) enjoys them

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Ok, I'll raise 'em and ship 'em! I figure I couldn't get $50 for one here....but I haven't really checked out the market.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They go for that live here. I did like them, now I kinda miss them! Lol nope, no more turkeys for us!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I call my burbon reds 1/2 wild because they are not completely wild tasting but not completely butter ball tasting either, their taste falls somewhere in the middle of the two breeds. And they are an exceptable leap of faith for those who have never eaten wild to still enjoy, without to much surprise in taste.

it sounds good to me, but Mom wouldn't touch it. she only likes the white meat of a turkey. i like only the dark meat. we rarely cook a turkey here, even a small one is way too much food for us. how we normally get turkey meat here is after going to TG dinner at one of my brother's place because he's the only one who makes them. it is always good and i normally get all the dark meat from there too so it works out that none of it gets wasted.

SS Project Manager

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I'm trying to talk DH into raising some turkeys. I'm looking for natural breeding/brooding and hardy in Midwest winter. We plan to free-range and I have kids, so docile temperament is a concern as well. Any suggestions? @NH Homesteader ?
Great insights! Congrats on getting your thread featured on our homepage!

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
If you want a bigger bird, but not necessarily turkey, You could look into Jersey Giant chickens.
1584033874571.png
(not my pic, but it shows size pretty well)

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been thinking of getting a few of them. They're supposed to be very docile and get along with the other chickens even though they are so much bigger (kinda like Baby Huey?)

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try midget whites for a while, maybe some day soon... I thing they would be about the right size form my wife and I, to smoke, stuff and finish cooking in the pressure cooker/canner.

My Burbon Reds are for big family meals like Thanksgiving and Christmas.