hey Free - how do i store this whey?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
so i just made the last batch of cheese for the season (probably)...how should i store the whey so its still "active" (is that right?). i'm gonna try lacto-fermentin' something.. but not right now.

what do i do with it? jar in the fridge? freeze it?

:)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Both :D

In a jar in the fridge it will last a long time...like up to 6 months!

You can also put it in ice cube trays and freeze it. It is pretty handy to just throw a couple of cubes in to a pot of beans for soaking.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Can you use cooked whey for lactofermenting? i was under the impression that it had to be raw whey, as in from straining yogurt or kefir. :idunno

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So the whey from making yogurt can be used?

Does anyone know if you are sensitive to dairy if you can use whey for lacto-fermenting without negative effects?

I really need to know this because one of my children is very sensitive.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hey, I was only gone for like an hour!

Yes, in a glass jar/bottle in the fridge, preferably in the back where it is colder. It will get a white layer on the top, not to worry. Use the sniff test every time you use it. I keep meaning to freeze some as per WZ but never remember....

Yes, it is live as long as it was a mesophillic (cool process, not pasteurized) cheese, which most are. As long as the process keeps the whey well under 145 F it is good to go.

I keep about a quart in my fridge, which is always way overkill!

And last but not least, it depends on what the sensitivity is. If it is lactose intolerance, the live whey will be fine. If it is a true milk allergy (very rare) then I'd avoid it. I am extremely sensitive to storebought milk but can use any of my homemade products, and could use live-culture yogurt whey for fermenting and could eat aged cheeses in moderation. Literally one sip of storebought milk will make me very sick for a day or two. So it depends on what your daughter's sensitivity is....

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
thanks everyone! look out lacto-fermentin, here i come! whoooot!

:)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't think she has a lactose intolerance (although she may now). Dairy products make her VERY fussy. That is why I don't like to test dairy with her. I am not sure why she is like that.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, is this a very tiny child, a baby? No experimenting on a baby! Although fussy may be bellyache, right? A symptom of lactose intolerance.

You can do all the fermenting without any whey. The whey is just a bit of added insurance and speeds the process up a bit. All plants have some lactobacilli on them, if it is not boiled/steamed/bleached until dead! You can make all the stuff on the fermenting thread without it, just watch it more closely for mold (scrape, don't toss the whole jar!) and maybe add a bit more salt, or a bit of extra salt on the top to protect it while the naturally occurring good beasties get going.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
She is not a baby. Lol! She is 13 but I noticed her problem with dairy when she was very small. Perhaps 3 years old. I really wonder why dairy makes her fussy and crabby and still have not figured out the why unless it is a gluten-like effect. Always looking for more insight!