Hey gardeners, what do you think of this deal?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Yeah the price is high for a package of heirloom seeds.

:hide But I still did it! :p They have a story. True or false?? Who cares, I'm sticking with it.

I promise I will share with you guys though, if you don't make fun of me for spending too much on "GGG heirloom tomato" seeds. (Great, Great Grandmother=GGG, thats what he calls them. :p)

He says these are tomato vines that can be trained around garden arches or fence lines etc. I have lots of space along the garden fence for that. Not sure if they are determinate or not though.

I already have chocolate cherry, brandywine, sungold, gold ball, black plum and about 5 more heirloom varieties that I can't think of at the moment. I didn't have an heirloom tomato "vine" however.

Free, funny dog story! :p

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
It is a cute story.
My Polish Great Grandmother sewed potatoes into the hem of her coat to smuggle them into the U.S. She wanted to make sure she had something to eat once she got here. We planted them faithfully for many years and they were the best potatoes. Unfortunately they eventually succumbed to diseases and we no longer have any.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
FD that is a really cool story!! Sorry they didn't make it. :( At least you got to eat some of them, right?

Oh and dragonlaurel, I LMBO when I read your post!! :lol:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Are they determinate or indeterminate? You need to know if you will be getting hundreds of bushels of little orbs all at once! I learned what those words meant when I planted two Santa tomatoes in earth boxes at our previous apartment, and they grew at least 12 feet (grew up my stakes then grew back down to the ground, would've kept growing but we ran out of summer!) and the tomatoes ripened all at once, late in the season. Not what I was looking for! Delicious, but too much all at once and not enough all summer.

A tomato story for you, BBH: When my dog, Gunnar, was a youngster, I was in the kitchen with some beads I'd bought all spread out on the floor while I admired them, and I was sitting on the floor with my back to the counter. I liked to look at my bead strands this way because the floor is off-white and the light is good, and I tend to be a floor-sitter anyways, having spent my childhood coming inside last all the time and there was no place left to sit for tv watching.

Anyhoo, I heard a scramble-scramble-CRASH and couldn't turn around it time to see what the pup was up to. Scramble-scramble-CRASH again. So I moved so I was on the other side of my beads so I could watch him at the same time.

I'd given him a couple of cherry tomatoes earlier, and left the basket on the counter above the dishwasher. He was trying to jump onto the counter to get to the tomatoes and he would get his front paws on the counter, then scramble-scramble with his back feet on the front of the dishwasher....then fall, CRASH! to the floor! Silly pooch! Still loves his cherry tomatoes! :lol:
I can only grow cherry tomatoes in fences here. The pug rips the vines down to get at them!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I promise I will share with you guys though, if you don't make fun of me for spending too much on "GGG heirloom tomato" seeds.
Um, BBH! That is a great deal! What a steal! That is only the very reasonable price of $0.20 per seed, which is $0.20 per plant! Imagine all the tomatoes you will get for only $0.20!!! What a bargain!

How was that? :D

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
FD that is a really cool story!! Sorry they didn't make it. :( At least you got to eat some of them, right?

Oh and dragonlaurel, I LMBO when I read your post!! :lol:
:hu I was serious. ;) Those tomato vines may end up being 6 foot tall instead, if this guys a fisherman too.
Seriously, enjoy those tomatoes. With what they would cost at the store, you'll still get your $$$ back easily.

edited for typo.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Thanks free and dragon! I feel a tiny bit better about my decision. :hide

(I'm sending some seeds to my mom too. A mom gift that keeps on giving for $.20 per seed is priceless. :) )

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My experience with cherry tomatoes - you don't have to worry about saving seeds, they'll come back up where you had them planted last year, even if the ground is tilled up. We have cherry tomatoes pop up everywhere!