Hey gardeners, what do you think of this deal?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
One plant? LOLOLOL

If I only did one plant hubby would eat them all and I would get nothing. I am plating about a DOZEN cherry tomato plants. I may even get some this year!

:gig

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Tomatoes are very popular around here. We go through them like they are candy. Most of the time they don't even make it into the house! :lol:

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
They sound cool but always be skeptical when men start telling you the size of stuff. They can't measure worth anything apparently. :lol:
Just being a brat for a minute.

They sound good but it is expensive.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ayep! :rolleyes:

Now, do you have an extension ladder with which to harvest these maters??? :D

Sally, if they are fantastic producers, take some pics and sell us some of the seeds as well. Heck....50 seeds? It will take you years to even use that many for cherry tomato plants...those things put out tremendous yields! Of course, you could sell the harvest...cherry tomatoes bring a big price in the stores.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Are they determinate or indeterminate? You need to know if you will be getting hundreds of bushels of little orbs all at once! I learned what those words meant when I planted two Santa tomatoes in earth boxes at our previous apartment, and they grew at least 12 feet (grew up my stakes then grew back down to the ground, would've kept growing but we ran out of summer!) and the tomatoes ripened all at once, late in the season. Not what I was looking for! Delicious, but too much all at once and not enough all summer.

A tomato story for you, BBH: When my dog, Gunnar, was a youngster, I was in the kitchen with some beads I'd bought all spread out on the floor while I admired them, and I was sitting on the floor with my back to the counter. I liked to look at my bead strands this way because the floor is off-white and the light is good, and I tend to be a floor-sitter anyways, having spent my childhood coming inside last all the time and there was no place left to sit for tv watching.

Anyhoo, I heard a scramble-scramble-CRASH and couldn't turn around it time to see what the pup was up to. Scramble-scramble-CRASH again. So I moved so I was on the other side of my beads so I could watch him at the same time.

I'd given him a couple of cherry tomatoes earlier, and left the basket on the counter above the dishwasher. He was trying to jump onto the counter to get to the tomatoes and he would get his front paws on the counter, then scramble-scramble with his back feet on the front of the dishwasher....then fall, CRASH! to the floor! Silly pooch! Still loves his cherry tomatoes! :lol:

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
do you have an extension ladder with which to harvest these maters???
I have to figure out how I am going to harvest my noodle beans and blue lake pole beans off those 15' vines so I will watch for the reply :D

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't see why you would want something of the sort. I guess maybe for selling future seeds more as a novelty, but really, for household purposes, it's not what I would want. Especially not for $10, lol. It's not a lot in the big scheme of things, but, really, $10 purchases add up, especially if you're spending $10 for one packet of seeds. :/

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I tend to agree. You can buy heirloom seeds for far, far less. I might have a few to send you...can't remember if I used up the entire packet of Brandywine or not. Beefsteak. I also bought Marglobe.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I lived in Escondido up in the hills there were wild cherry tomaotes climbing around everywhere. Don't know how long they were but could easy have been 16 feet long. they were the most incredible tomaotes I have ever, ever had. I still think of them 35 years ago now.

If heirloom is important to you for a rare plant go for it.

Latest posts