Hey there! Raw milk question...

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hey! I'm back after moving south and getting new routines an whatnot... Just got a pressure canner and a stand mixer for Christmas, so yay!

But now that we have moved, I have been trying to find raw milk somewhere, and I'm having no luck. I was wondering if anyone knew somewhere... We are in the panhandle, okaloosa county to be exact. Can get more specific thru a pm...

We had tried out raw milk before we moved, and it was great! But obviously after moving 12 hours away, I haven't had it in awhile. I miss it! And now that I figured out making mozzarella and ricotta, I'd love to use raw milk! Please help!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Go to Real Milk.com where you can find out who sells it near you.(there may not be a space between real and milk) that's how I found a supplier. Keep in mind that some states prohibit the sale of raw milk for human consumption, so you may have to jump through a few hoops.

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I tried there first... Closest place is 4 hours away... Totally not worth the money at that point... Then I have been watching Craigslist, but no luck there, all I'm getting with that are other people looking.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The place I buy from delivers to a pick up spot about 2 hours away. I wonder if a group of you could take turns meeting a milk producer half way. Two hours trip once every two months, if there are a number of you, wouldn't be too bad. It would take a lot of cooperation from all concerned, but people who are determined to get raw milk can be a bulldogish lot! lol Also, check to see if anyone has milk goats in your area. They may also have cows, too, or know someone who does. If you are friends with a vet who treats large animals, too, they may be able to give you a lead. And when the farmers markets start up again in the spring, ask there. But choose your wording carefully, lest they suspect you are trying to stir up legal trouble. I wish you good luck.

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
If only I could! Hubby says no, and I live in military housing. :( but fingers crossed that wont be for much longer!!!!! :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Are there any Amish or Mennonite communities nearby. They don't advertise it, but they have raw milk. You might find one willing to sell to you.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are you close to Slocomb Al? There is a dairy farm there that might could help you out. There is also a farmers market in Chipley Fl that I believe sells raw milk.

ashylove1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
No, I'm still not close enough to either of those places, sadly. Maybe if we do move though, then it would only be an hour or so... Guess I will just have to wait.

No there are no Amish communities that I know of, but it is possible, we haven't been here long enough to know where they would be.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Maybe call the American Dariy Goat Assoc and see if they can give you contact info of goat breeders near you- if they dont have milk, they may know someone who does. They may not offer to sell raw milk, or may be wary of you, as in many places it is not legal to sell raw milk unless it's for "animal use only".