Hey Ya'll from Central Kentucky!

dawnwinds58

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
On 35 acres, out a backroad, off a Hwy, going nowhere. The place they meant when they said, "You can't get there from here." Small rivers split the hwy on both side of us, oh, 'bout a mile on one side and two miles on the other. Curves around behind us less than a mile away. Between the rivers the land is lower with rock ridges on both sides of the valley. Some of that is good, and some is bad. It means summer rains don't happen and you must irrigate. The rivers pull the rain before it reaches us, but bad storms rarely hit us either. It's a 'wind funnel' with higher than average wind for our area and can support a low RPM wind generator.

Economy forced 2 of my 5 children back home, each with a spouse and 3 children so rather than 'kick them out of the nest' we're building more nests and have field hands. Population: my husband and me, 2 kids and 2 spouses, 6 grandkids, and an abandoned brother-in-law with no place to go, 13 total.

We have 2 acres in garden and plowing more for feed corn and sorghum. Have 3 Red Wattle gilts (girl pigs unbred), 3 Tamworth/Large Black cross gilts due here in a month, and 2 Berkshire gilts coming in September. Looking for a Berkshire boar to raise with them. Anything we can't eat out of the garden, or store in the root cellar, goes to them.

Note: grain sorghum in garden is a 'no waste' crop. Grain heads to chickens and geese, juice pressed for sorghum syrup, sweet stalks to hogs. Perfect all-around crop.

Geese are Pilgrims sex-linked and identifiable by color. All girls are gray and all males are white. Chickens are dual purpose eggs and meat. Based in Buff Orpington, but working on pure lines of Silver Laced Wayandotte, Jersey Black Giant, and Speckled Sussex. Good hardy birds which will make good meat. The Jerseys are slow growing and can mature as large as a medium turkey.

Looking for American Blackbelly sheep starter flock of 2 ram lambs and 4 ewe lambs. Need something close enough to pick up, not ship.

Have Tenn. Walking horses, old stock Midnight Sun bred, stocky enough to plow and pull. Planning to raise a pair of oxen.

Guess that's us? Not sure what else to add.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Welcome!!!! with all that help, you guys should be SS in no time!!! sucks about the irrigation though.

Enjoy the site!!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I'd love to see pics of all your animals. (And especially the horses! :hide)

txhomegrown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Sounds like a nice setup. You have a lot of hands to make it work.
My grandfather was from Kentucky and I have always loved going there. I nearly moved there some time back. I sure wish I had done it. Good luck to you all.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:frow Welcome from southern Indiana

Your place sounds great!

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day,I look forward to hearing about your "adventures" ,as someone else said when you can "post "some pic's ,that will be great.

The pic's really add a lot to a journal,so "welcome" from Downunder...........................T.O.R.............................