Hi From Tennessee

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just wanted to stop in and give everyone a big "Hello"! I'm from Tennessee and am forced to step back and take a huge look at my needs vs. my wants. My husband and I are living on 1/4 of what we made a year ago thanks to my company closing and moving it's jobs to China. I'm very interested in talking to people who know what it's like to live on very very little.

I've surfed through many forums that claim to be people on a budget, and I see they have 300.00 a week to spend on groceries and I think..."WOW" how can they consider that frugal?

I'm also interested in starting my first chicken coop, and garden this spring. I was raised on a farm as a child, so it's not that I can't do it, just need alittle help and I'm sure it will all come back to me.

I'm really excited to meet new people who truly live on a budget like myself who raise most of their food to save money.

I look forward to hearing from you all, and I hope I can contribute something to your little community as well!

Angie

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:welcome

Tennessee is a beautiful state with friendly people.
A lot of us are in the same boat as you and we love to
exchange ideas. I'm sure you'll have much to contribute. :)

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hi Angie!
Welcome! I'm new to this site also, but been on BYC for almost a year. (I have had chickens for over 12 years!)
I have more to live on now than I have in the past, but nothing lasts forever, and times can take a turn for the worse without warning.
I hope you find the support here that you seek, and I am sure you will have tons to contribute!
Tina/tfpets

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Hey Angie!

What part of TN are you in?

I'm from East Tennessee. We live on 7 acres and just got chickens this year. I came across this forum while on Back Yard Chickens. This is a great place to learn how to save money and learning to do things for yourself.

If you have any questions, there a several knowledgable (sp) members here, so just ask away.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi Angie, I hope you find what you need here. You are probably more self sufficient than you think.
There are lots of people here that are very knowledgable in many different ways and you will add to that knowledge base.

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Punkin,
I'm from Greeneville TN. I have 3 acres that is eating us up in mowing. We really feels with times as they are that we can learn to use our little spot to become more self sufficient. Our plans for the spring are; Composting, raising chickens, a cow for beef, and a garden. This is something that I feel won't be hard for me to do......just getting the "hubby" in the mood to help will be the biggie! ;)

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Welcome Angie! I hope you're able to find some good ideas here. If you're interested in composting, I recommend you start that now, no time like the present, and you'll be so glad you did when you start your garden in the spring. You don't have to get fancy. Go dig a hole in an inconspicuous area of your 3 acres, preferably near where your garden will be, and start adding your kitchen and lawn scraps. Keep a covered bowl, bucket, whatever in the kitchen to collect them in and every few days dump it in the hole, just make sure to layer some dead leaves or dried lawn clippings or whatever on top of the scraps every once in a while. You can throw all your fruit, veggie, coffee, and tea scraps in.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
angie68 said:
Punkin,
I'm from Greeneville TN. I have 3 acres that is eating us up in mowing. We really feels with times as they are that we can learn to use our little spot to become more self sufficient. Our plans for the spring are; Composting, raising chickens, a cow for beef, and a garden. This is something that I feel won't be hard for me to do......just getting the "hubby" in the mood to help will be the biggie! ;)
Greeneville is a beautiful area. My son has been to Church camp there. My DH's family is from Erwin, so we have been through many times.

I don't have any myself (yet), but I know goats are good mowers.

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
annmarie said:
Welcome Angie! I hope you're able to find some good ideas here. If you're interested in composting, I recommend you start that now, no time like the present, and you'll be so glad you did when you start your garden in the spring. You don't have to get fancy. Go dig a hole in an inconspicuous area of your 3 acres, prefererably near where your garden will be, and start adding your kitchen and lawn scraps. Keep a covered bowl, bucket, whatever in the kitchen to collect them in and every few days dump it in the hole, just make sure to layer some dead leaves or dried lawn clippings or whatever on top of the scraps every once in a while. You can throw all your fruit, veggie, coffee, and tea scraps in.
Thanks!! I was actually researching the composting today and wondered how to get started. This is VERY helpful, and I'll get started today. I'll get the hole dug today while it's still warm and start saving.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Welcome.

I think you will find some really (as in true) frugal and self sufficient people here. There are a lot of good ideas too.

Latest posts