Hi from the Pacific Northwest!

Ead

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hello, Friends! I have five acres that I've lived on for 20 years and now have the opportunity to develop as a permaculture garden. Years ago I grew for the farmer's market in the small town nearby but now want to focus on family self-sufficiency by designing new gardens and bringing on mini cows (might even be interested in breeding!?!?) So pleased to join such a nice community! I have a couple of questions about pasture management but will look around for the proper place to post them. Hope I can also be of support to others in the community! Thank you for being here!:woot

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Pasture management: I don't have pasture, nor the good land to do so.... But, am a fan of Greg Judy's "mob grazing" method of land management. I suggest that you start there. @Bee Kissed is doing mob grazing on her land with hair sheep. She's getting up and running with her system, but she has some good info for you.

Welcome! 4.3 acres, zone 4B here, 2 developed, the rest is wooded, high water table, rocky/vernal pools. Chickens and Ducks. Garden space enough to grow quite a bit, with veggies spilling over into flower gardens.

Ead

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Pasture management: I don't have pasture, nor the good land to do so.... But, am a fan of Greg Judy's "mob grazing" method of land management. I suggest that you start there. @Bee Kissed is doing mob grazing on her land with hair sheep. She's getting up and running with her system, but she has some good info for you.

Welcome! 4.3 acres, zone 4B here, 2 developed, the rest is wooded, high water table, rocky/vernal pools. Chickens and Ducks. Garden space enough to grow quite a bit, with veggies spilling over into flower gardens.
Wow - sounds just lovely! I used to grow for the farmer's market in my younger days and my family has kept chickens for selling eggs for many years. My front two acres have the house and outbuildings and a barn that's about to fall down. Long way to go before things are in shape to really get the farm back up on its feet so we can sell eggs, milk, butter and cheese - but that's my hope!

Ead

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Awe - sweet!

Ead

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome! Im over near Tacoma. Just try not to drown here, tbough it's been dryer than normal.
Hi Hinotori - so nice to meet you! I live on Vashon so just a ferry ride from Tacoma :) but at the moment I'm in the midwest on family business. Will be back on Wednesday and ready to start a steep learning curve as I get my little farm back in shape! What are you up to over there in Tacoma?

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Not much at moment. We've been having 35° temp swings. 23° at night 60° in day. I'm about 4 miles from Kapowsin.

Im waiting for the ground to dry enough to till. I live by marsh so waiting for dry is the biggest problem here in spring. My ground is glacial till so I'll be pulling a lot of big rocks out since this ground hasn't been worked before, just had chickens on it.