Hi! Im new here!

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
This is my first post on this site although I have been following it for some time. It has really got me thinking. I have three chickens in my suburban backyard, along with my poor little garden (I don't have much of a green thumb :rolleyes:). I recently learned to make my own bread and to can too. I would love to learn more and I was wondering if you had any suggestions on books or sights that might help me along. I want to learn everything! Even though I really don't believe in 2012 or zombies, it never hurts to be prepared! Thanks!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Okay, if 2012 were to happen, we'd all be toast anyway. LOL I think a lot of the people on here seem more concerned with the economy or how politics may effect how things are and they want to try to not have to depend on a system that keeps having so much trouble and others, myself, are here for more environmental/moralistic reasons. It' okay, though, we all just try to respect each other and be adults.

I'm on a small lot, as well, as I live in the 'burbs. We've got 5 chickens and a rabbit. I've got plans for doing rain-barrels(now that they're legal) and actually setting up a structure for my compost pile. It's all about the baby steps here.

Congrats on the bread! That is something I struggle with constantly.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
welcome!!!

there's lots you can do with a small lot - search for "micro farms" and "square foot gardening" for resources.

then work on your plan to get out of town and on the farm!
;-)

ps i think at last look it was "mutant zombie bikers"... the worst kind...

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Aidenbaby said:
Okay, if 2012 were to happen, we'd all be toast anyway. LOL I think a lot of the people on here seem more concerned with the economy or how politics may effect how things are and they want to try to not have to depend on a system that keeps having so much trouble and others, myself, are here for more environmental/moralistic reasons. It' okay, though, we all just try to respect each other and be adults.

I'm on a small lot, as well, as I live in the 'burbs. We've got 5 chickens and a rabbit. I've got plans for doing rain-barrels(now that they're legal) and actually setting up a structure for my compost pile. It's all about the baby steps here.

Congrats on the bread! That is something I struggle with constantly.
We have a pretty good sized compost pile in one corner of the yard. Like I said, I really don't believe in 2012. I am concerned with where my stuff comes from. Nobody seems to know where eggs or bread or anything eles they use everyday comes from. Like it magically appears at walmart. Few people appreciate the hard work that gose into the things we take so forgranted. I love having my chickens. I know what they eat, I know how they live and I know they are healthy. Same with the veggies and bread. I want to know what is in my food or what went in to building that coop and to appreciate the hard work that went in to the scarf I knitted. And if the SHTF I want to have the comfort knowing my family will be ok. That we won't starve or that we will always be clean and healthy. I think it would be a fun little experiment to live without electricity for a while. My DH thinks I nuts, especially after I told him I wanted a wood burning stove. :p Just for looks I promise!

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
welcome!!!

there's lots you can do with a small lot - search for "micro farms" and "square foot gardening" for resources.

then work on your plan to get out of town and on the farm!
;-)

ps i think at last look it was "mutant zombie bikers"... the worst kind...
I really really really want a farm! But for now, Dh has no job and at 21 we really don't have alot of experience buying houses. :rolleyes: We'er actually living with his mother until we are ready to live on our own and we are out of college (trying to think ahead here). My MIL has a fenced off section of her backyard that I have claimed as my own. Back there is the chicken coop, my garden, and the compost pile. Along with 20 or so plastic barrels I am trying to figure something out to do with. Many are sawed in half and some are filled with rain water. I think Im gonna dumb those or use the rain water to water my garden. Im afaid that it might turn into a 'skeeter haven it I just leave it. Lots to learn!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The skeeter problem is actually a relatively easy fix. You can use chemicals or you can add a goldfish. We have water issues here in Colorado and only last summer did they start allowing people to "harvest" the rain. I am all over it but don't have the money to buy the barrels. I am posting an add on our local freecycle though to see what people have available.

The 1/2 barrels you have could be used as container gardens too if you add drainage holes to the bottoms.

My husband and yours sound like they have a lot in common. He actually thought that his clothes magically appeared in his drawers!!

ETA: I am sorry for being so rude. I completely forgot to say welcome to posting on the boards. :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
ooooo carrots too!!!

Welcome! Glad to have another member! What kind of chickens do you have?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
urban dreamer said:
Like it magically appears at walmart. Few people appreciate the hard work that gose into the things we take so forgranted. I love having my chickens. I know what they eat, I know how they live and I know they are healthy. Same with the veggies and bread. I want to know what is in my food or what went in to building that coop and to appreciate the hard work that went in to the scarf I knitted. And if the SHTF I want to have the comfort knowing my family will be ok. That we won't starve or that we will always be clean and healthy. I think it would be a fun little experiment to live without electricity for a while. My DH thinks I nuts, especially after I told him I wanted a wood burning stove. :p Just for looks I promise!
:thumbsup

Welcome!! I second the goldfish, they are very easy to keep. You can also buy dragonfly larva & release them. They eat mosquitos. There is so much you can do with barrels. Do you know what was in them before?

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Welcome! For an organic fix to a skeeter problem, a few drops of olive oil will keep them under control. The oil keeps larvae from being able to breath at the surface.

I would have to agree that the barrels would be great for potatoes, carrots and similar root crops. Even for berry bushes. You could easily attach a couple of thin pvc pipes and some bird netting to protect the berries. I'm sure that others will have more suggestions, as this is a pretty creative group. :welcome