Hi! I'm new to all these! Will need help =p So glad to be here!

Letsgrowstuff

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi! I'm very new to becoming self-sufficient-- just a second year gardener, started to learn canning last August, learning how to bake bread; got chickens last November; planning to have rabbits for meat; want to have more chickens for meat but might forgo for rabbits instead, if it will cost less; also interested to have sheep for wool. As you can see, I am having a lot of interests, and I don't have experience in any of them :). Very willing to learn and not afraid to work and to enjoy the journey! Thank you for making this site possible!

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from VA. You've sure jumped right in, haven't you? ;)

With sheep you'll need some pasture land -- have that? Personally, I'd settle the other things in before adding the sheep but, we rarely do things slowly when excited. So we understand and encourage!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome from Texas! We are great enablers! LOL My advice, don’t try to do it all at once, you can get discouraged when you get overwhelmed. In the meantime, study past posts and learn! Join www.backyardherds.com and start reading the sheep forums. I studied them for five years until we moved here and I got my first sheep.
How much land do you have? Is it fenced? What type of fence? Are there barns?
I’ve gardened all my life, I’ll be glad to help you. You might want to join another sister site, www.the easy garden.com

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Welcome. What's your general location? Many of us put that in our profile. It helps us to connect geographically, b/c farming in one area is vastly different than it is in an other area! Zone 4B, lat. 44.6 here. SNOW and ICE country with ground frozen Nov - mid April. But, I manage to push the season from either end with cold frames, tunnels, row covers. And Kratky hydroponics and sprouting inside the rest of the year.

Do you intend to process your wool, or do you want sheep for possibly land management, milk, and meat? If your answer is the latter, you might consider hair sheep instead of wool sheep.

Latest posts