Hi! I'm touching ground in Northern California right in the Bay Area!

BrianS925

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
This site pretty much found me and I'm liking it a lot. Cool to be here on common ground with so many people. I'm excited to collect and use in my own life other peoples way of life.
Anyone care to share in a few words a cool example why a group like this is important and what has it done for you? Cheers!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hi Brian - and welcome!

I enjoy this site because it is a group of (mostly) like-minded folks sharing tips, ideas and experiences with others. For example - your post about the whole house fan. It may be something DH and I should think about. I can see the potential for it being beneficial for us, except for perhaps our 100 degree + days. Not sure I'd want to draw that much hot air into the house, lol.

A lot of people on here have a lot of good ideas and tips about animal husbandry, gardening, food preservation, fix-it ideas and plain ol' good ideas about life.

I think you'll enjoy it.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree with what frustratedearthmother said.

I come here for two things: know-how info, and camaraderie with people who have similar interests and pursuits.

On here, people trade all sorts of info: household thrift, clothing making/repair, gardens, livestock raising, recipes, and more. These are are all fundamental aspects of the more self-reliant life, just as are the infrastructural skills of carpentry, masonry, electrical work, mechanics, water-system planning, and all those sorts of things.

The world is shakey these days. We can help each other to live satisfying lives.

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
After spending over 26 years moving around with the military We chose to retire and this site feels like home to me. I can share my finds, ignorance and excitement with people who get it.