Hi there!

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I thought I posted before.
I prefer to go by Bebop online, I'm 21, have a husband and we have 4 sugar glider, one pair has a baby.
I've been wanting to be self sustaining for a while and want to meet more like minded people in my area (west TN), so instead of just being sufficient for myself, I can offer back to my community.
I'm planning on getting a bicycle powered mill grinder, a solar oven or two, chickens, milk goats, and I'm going to be planting a garden next year.
I know how to crochet, knit, and sew. I want to learn how to can, make jerky, make lip balm. I'm getting dorking chicken (a rare heritage breed) eggs, and I'm making my own incubator.
I want to meet people who raise bees and sell raw beeswax and honey.
>^.^<

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
:welcome
Wow, congratualtions on all your self sufficiency plans and all your skills!
Its great that you have such goals at your age.
I have a daughter your age and (oh my lord, I just realized how old that makes me seem) anyway, she thinks I am a lunatic for doing the stuff I do and thinks I just make my life harder.
She finds me amusing for the most part, but she did just learn to make homemade bread and will now touch my chickens instead of running away when they come near her. :)
So I guess I hope some of my interests will keep rubbing off on her, I will have to tell her about you.
I hope you enjoy yourself here and make lots of friends.

user251

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dang, you go girl! don't start out to slowly now :lol:. welcome to SS.C while youre here allow me to say ROLL TIDE!! (just kidding)

Bebop

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think it skips a generation sometimes. My mom grew up on a farm, I think, in the Philippines. She keeps changing her stories, but I think it's because she doesn't want me to farm.
I think what she's thinking is because she didn't have much there, she thinks it's much more simple to just buy from grocery stores. She had chickens and all of that, I'm sure, but she really hates the fact that that's how I want to live!
It's actually a growing trend in cities, if you can believe that, to be green, organic, and self-sustaining. I have these "hipster" friends when I was living in El Paso, TX that bought a soymilk maker, they don't even use it! I offered to buy it, but they wouldn't let me! They need it to keep in style!
Isn't that weird?!

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Haha, I remember(probably 10-15 years ago) when people I knew bought cappaciuno (sp) machines and homemade pasta makers to keep on their counters to look hip.
They never used them and didn't even know how to use them.
What a waste of money.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hi bebop
welcome to the forum
you sure are learning great SS ways! it is a fun lifestyle to do it yourself! :)
enjoy the forum!