high blood pressure and gout

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The glycemic index (or glycemic load) tells you how fast and how high each food effects your blood sugar and insulin levels.

The goal is to choose foods that have a low GI number and avoid foods with a high GI number. Here is a link to one chart...

http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

A low carbohydrate diet is, by its nature, low glycemic, but it is more restrictive than what is considered a low GI diet. I do think there are some flaws in the GI*, BUT following the GI is far superior to the food pyramid or standard American diet.

*The biggest flaw is them listing fructose as low GI. While it is technically true, fructose puts a HUGE LOAD on your liver even though it doesn't raise blood sugar. It raises triglycerides, and in excess, can lead to non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That is why I stated that a lot of the info on the internet is inaccurate or misleading. Glycemic index and glycemic load are two different concepts, yet many sites still use the terms interchangeably and inaccurately, which is very misleading.

We still use the term LGI because more people recognize it, and the loading concept is much newer.

Glycemic index refers to the sugar content of, say, carrots, while glycemic load is how it impacts your blood sugar and insulin response. So carrots may be high on the glycemic index while extremely low in regards to glycemic load, the important part. Many sites do not differentiate. It is an emerging field. It does take me twelve weeks to teach it thoroughly, once class a week. Could do it in six, but it seems people need time to process info and develop new habits and tastes, so 12 weeks leads to more success.

How you prepare a food can change the glycemic load.

I have had people in my classes who tried to do it on their own using books on the subject, but said it was too confusing. The classes demystify the concepts, and each class could be a book!

I will be starting a new phone group soon, e-mail me if you want info.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lori

has she had diabetes tests?

sounds like she could be having problems.....my neighbor has the swelling foot and ankle and a burning/tingling sensation on her feet.....just diagnosed with diabetes.

I wonder if that could be a problem?

I hope she does well! When older so many darn things jump ya and complicate each other!!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have had people in my classes who tried to do it on their own using books on the subject, but said it was too confusing
I agree and yes, I know that load is different....but it is easier to just count carbs for me :D

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
okay, so granny went to her doctor today and her bp was 150/85. High but not horrible. She also has a slight heart murmur so she is going for an electrocardiogram on the 18th. Doc gave her a prescription for a diuretic to help the swelling in her feet until they could find out if there was something wrong with her heart/lungs.

Her neck pain has returned to the point that she can't turn her head again. She has been going to the chiropractor for this and he thinks that she needs to lower her stress level and get off the meds that she is currently taking.

We'll see how the testing goes...:fl

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Well, granny went yesterday and they did an ultrasound on her heart and lungs and there was no fluid and doctor said that everything looked good. He gave her a prescription for gout medication and we'll see how things go. I would still like to get her off the blood pressure meds and drinking more fluids. Just thought I would let everyone know how she was. Thanks for all your concerns and advice!

mamakate

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My legs swell and my heart beats weird( the mds say I have micral valve prolapse) if I get off my magnesium supplement. 1500 mgs for 1 week, then 750 per day. It makes a huge difference for me. Keep trying on the sugar-carb thing. It really matters.