High cholesterol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
For some irrational reason I trust you guys better than WebMd or Mayo websites. :gig

I am on a medication that tends to raise cholesterol and triglycerides (sp?). Both were low at my last bloodwork.

My fiance has borderline high cholesterol.

What diet/health advice/tips/changes do you guys have for me?

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Eat lots of eggs, fatty fish, animal fats and butter. Avoid oils except small amounts of extra virgin olive oil, flax oil and if you need to use other oils make sure they are expeller pressed.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
but also remember, when you go super high fat like that-----be sure to have those trigs and chol. numbers checked again in a reasonable time.

while this works for some, alot of times this diet will increase all the bad numbers also

every body works different

Tony's chol. was kinda high
I started checking natural ways to lower them and one was garlic.....
hmmm....I couldn't get him to take it, not even the stupid no odor tablets lol he refused ?? go figure

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Olive oil, raw almonds~about 10 per day only, vinegar and garlic. Green leafy veggies, fresh fruits, lots of water.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
A lot of fruit intake can make those triglycerides high. Also processed foods that contain high fructose corn syrup.

"Commercially produced fructose is not the same as the natural fructose found in fruits. Excessive fructose consumption has been found to lead to insulin resistance, high blood pressure, and high triglyceride (chemical form of fat) levels.

Researchers at the University of California at Davis (UCD) did a fructose study. They wanted to assess the risk of heart disease in 23 overweight adults ages 43 to 70 years old. The results were that the fructose group saw their insulin sensitivity decrease and their low density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol rise.

And to add insult to injury, the study subjects gained an average of 3 pounds. The glucose group were not similarly afected. This study epitomizes the dangers of fructose.

A fall in insulin sensitivity can lead to prediabetes, and prediabetes can lead to full-blown diabetes. The opposite of insulin sensitivity is insulin resistance. The more sensitive a person is to insulin, the better. LDL cholesterol is the bad cholesterol.

Fructose, high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) and crystalline fructose are all equally dangerous. John Yudkin, MD., PhD., professor emeritus at Queen Elizabeth College in London, England said this, "people should avoid it (fructose.)" Dr. Yudkin is also an expert on the health effects of sugar.

Although the consumption of sucrose has gone down, the consumption of fructose and highfructose corn syrup has steadliy increased. They are much cheaper to produce than processing cane sugar or beet sugar. Sugar is hidden in countless commercial products.

The use of fructose as a commercial sweetener dates back to the late 60s and early 70s. The Finnish Sugar Company was the first to develop a method of synthesizing fructose from cane and beet sugar and some vegetables.

It has also been determined that fructose interferes with the body's absorption of copper. Thistrace element is necessary for the production of hemoglobin in red blood cells."
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...wqHbjo&sig=AHIEtbRLK_Bax5e5iHXxyqgt0VF3O0wuHA

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cut your carbs and reduce flour and sugar of all types.. Replace those carbs with veggies.

walnuts are more effective that almonds.

Use grapeseed oil.

garlic

red rice yeast

exercise

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was just reading an article that said the majority of people who have heart attacks do not have high cholesterol. The article said researchers were considering lowering the acceptable cholesterol numbers. (so more people who have heart attacks would then fit into the "high cholesterol" category?) http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/01/090112130653.htm

But then I've read other non-mainstream articles that say high cholesterol isn't actually linked to heart disease. What do you all think?

BTW, eating more veggies is a pretty fair bet to improve anyone's health, imo.

Oh, and another thing. My dh's cholesterol levels went way down after I started feeding him butter and whole, raw milk. Bring on the bacon and eggs.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
But then I've read other non-mainstream articles that say high cholesterol isn't actually linked to heart disease. What do you all think?
I think that quite frankly the research has not yet been done that would sufficiently clarify the issue for it to be more than a matter of more-or-less religious faith (rather than evidence) :p

JMHO,

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yup I agree with Pat on that one caue the physical body has so many links within itself--they have all not been discovered

too many combinations working together or against each other in the body

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I started using lard versus hydrogenated vegetable oils (shortening). This is good?

We still use a little bit of liquid veggie oil. I choose peanut oil. He picks canola. Does it matter?

I'm the one with the sweet tooth, lol. He doesn't have one at all!