Highlighting/lightening hair on the cheap...

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My hair has been looking really dull and flat lately, but there's no way I'm spending money on a salon visit anytime soon.
So, I called my cousin for advice. She has the most gorgeous and healthy blonde hair and she does it herself.

Recipe:
1 spray bottle
lemon
hydrogen peroxide
water

I used two capfuls of peroxide, one lemon's worth of juice and about a cup of water. I sprayed my hair until it was dripping, squeezed out the excess, and put it up in a clip for about an hour. I then shampooed it out and rubbed a tiny bit of coconut oil on the ends.
And it...looks...fantastic! :weee
It brought out all kinds of highlights, like if I'd spent all summer at the beach. It looks totally natural.
My hair was medium brownish to start with, I don't know how very dark hair would react. Either way, I'd start with a very dilute solution. It's not very drying or damaging, so you can always repeat it until you get the level of highlighting you want. For comparison, Julie's hair is very platinum blond and she uses a whole bottle of peroxide in her mix.

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Whoo hoo!!! Great idea. I haven't had my hair done up right for about 2 years and I'm missing it. I've not done any of the do it yourself because I haven't wanted to mess with it. Can't wait to try it!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thought I'd bookmarked it, guess I didn't :(

Anywho, yesterday, I came across a site where this lady was talking about what to do with all her excess sage - apparently she's got LOTS, but doesn't use that much in cooking. She did some research and came up with a sage rinse for hair. Leaves hair smelling great, and over time, can even cover gray, but it's best for brown hair. There was a note at the bottom that said blondes should try (I THINK) chamomile leaves, and red heads OR if you want red highlights, use hibiscus leaves.

Hope this is helpful :)

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Awesome thanks!! I am in major need of a hair-do, its long, drab blonde and blah! :sick

Now anyone want to come cut my hair...?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Bethanial said:
Thought I'd bookmarked it, guess I didn't :(

Anywho, yesterday, I came across a site where this lady was talking about what to do with all her excess sage - apparently she's got LOTS, but doesn't use that much in cooking. She did some research and came up with a sage rinse for hair. Leaves hair smelling great, and over time, can even cover gray, but it's best for brown hair. There was a note at the bottom that said blondes should try (I THINK) chamomile leaves, and red heads OR if you want red highlights, use hibiscus leaves.

Hope this is helpful :)
There was a shampoo brand out in the 80s that was supposed to enhance different colors based on the formula you bought. I remember the blond formula having chamomile in it. Silly, since I'm not a blond. Do you think I can remember what the brunette formula had in it??? Nope!

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yay!! Made up a whole spray bottle full, which *had* contained my dogs all natural flea spray, so I didn't rinse well ;) I smell like cedar currently! SO doused my hair, waiting a few more minuted to do a chamomile rinse...I'm too impatient!! This is easy enough to do every night until I get desired results. I should try hibiscus for highlights...hmm...

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Was I supposed to leave the chamomile rinse in? I washed with my normal shampoo/conditioner (generic paul mitchel tea tree line.) Is that ok?

I almost shaved my legs for the first time in weeks with goat soap,my legs love the soap! Sorry, totally random.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
YES! Leave rinse it - wash and condition as normal, then work in rinse, but leave it in as hair dries - I do remember that part!

Latest posts