Hillfarm - good news, thank heavens.

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hillfarm, that shower jelly is such a cool idea! It sounds like it would feel really nice on a hot day. I think I'm going to make some tonight.

hoosier97

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
If you are concerned about the presence of that yucky naphthalene in the fels naptha, good news! Fels Naptha does not contain naphthalene any longer. If I'm not mistaken, I think it even says so on the package.

dragonlaurel said:
I don't do well with the chemicals and all the scents they put in stuff. I'm using home made cleaners for almost everything else already, but have been bought laundry soap still.
Fels Naptha has napthalene in it. It's used by dry cleaners, but the chemical is nasty. I'd rather play it safe and not use it.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the shower jelly is wonderful. I keep it in the fridge but you dont have too. Husband loved it and has asked for it twice now. So I take that as a win.

I bought zote, very good laundry soap, gelled really well. fels naptha wanted to seperate. Im working on finding a castille soap and or recipe.

Its hypoallergenic if you use an olive oil base.

oh and does anyone know if chickens eat alfalfa pellets?

We are wanting to leave greens for the girls since they wont be free ranging for the week we are on vacation.

im leaving them a head of cabbage and the sitter will check on them half way threw and give them another. but i had hoped to leave them some green source.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
They will pick at alfalfa pellets, but they LOVE leafy alfalfa hay! I give that to my chickens during the winter and it is amazing how much they will eat!

If you can't find a good bale of hay in your area try pet stores. Since lots of people are now keeping house bunnies they often have smaller bags of high quality alfalfa there - although it is costly. Since you are just feeding it for a while it might be worth it. ;)

Castile soap is actually EASY to make if you are already a soaper. Once again I recommend the book "The Complete Soapmaker" by Norma Coney. It has SO many basic soap recipes.

100% Olive Oil Castile Soap

52 oz of olive oil (the cheaper the grade the better the soap it makes ;) )
7 oz lye
20 oz cold water

This makes a nice hard white bar.

Sometimes the oil is hard to get to saponify and it will separate. The instructions say to check the soap every few hours and re-stir if necessary. Personally I pour the soap into 3 inch PVC pipe molds and insulate it well and I have NEVER had this problem.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
thank you soooo much for the recipe Farmfresh. Im soo making that one. And I love the PVC mold. How do you get the soap out?

I soaked the alfalfa pellets in warm water and gave it to them. They drank the water. :/ I caught one pecking at it. They just didnt seem impressed. Of course they are spoiled and free ranging so they want premium grade. But I'm thinking they will eat it when their options are limited.

Husband finds it entertaining that I have fussed more over the feathered girls welfare than my kids when we leave on our trip. But the kids will be with gparents, so I know they are fine. My baby girls will be alone and unattended for three day stretch. Thankfully they are well protected in their coop, run and fenced yard. But we do have a lot of possums. :idunno

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh and how long is the pvc and how do you seal the ends? :frow

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I cut the PVC about 12 to 15 inches long and use removable PVC caps on the ends. I used to just use regular PVC clean out fittings on the bottom but these days I am experimenting with pressure test plugs that are made to slip inside of the PVC. I stand the PVC pipes up in a BIG old insulated mug from the convenience store and top it with another old mug for the insulation period.

Grease it lightly with Vaseline to make un-molding easier. You can also put the mold in the freezer for a while. When you take it out of the freezer the condensation in the mold will make the soap slip easier. You just take off the end caps and push it from one end. I cut the soap with a plastic coated jewelry wire as I push it out of the mold. It makes nice round bars. ;)

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love this mold. I cant wait to start this weekend. Im making a batch of soap and using the pvc. we have gobs left over from when we had to redo the entire plumbing in our house. :rolleyes: Previous owners believed duct tape was a fix all. :th :he

now I have to find a digital scale. Guess Im forced to go shopping. :celebrate Normally I hate it, but Im really loving the creativity this hobby is sparking.

Countdown to NYC and Jersey. A party is being planned for DH's 40th birthday by his friends up there. They are being sorta sneaky, DH knows that we are going to celebrate his birthday, he just doesnt know to what extent. We are expecting a huge crowd. This will also be the first time his friends will meet me. So Im thinking its a bit of reception too. Cant wait. His ex is also friends with all these people but Im hoping they wont invite her. He lived with her for 5 years and they broke up and he moved here and met me a year later. Apparently she expected marriage and for him to take her to Texas.

So, there's some bitterness there. But, if she does show, she will get nothing but sweet southern politeness. DH says I should worry cuz she's a new yorker and she will be really in my face rude. I told him southern women are trained from birth in the art of sounding like virgin angels while they cut your throat. Bless her heart.

he is more worried than I am. i get he doesnt want her to cause me any drama but I'm the one he married. Obviously, I dont need to act a fool. And besides, if she comes off hostile, then I look like a better person by simply being graceful. Or at least thats my hope.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Today's drama started with pics of the girls. Below is my beloved lil barred rock. And a hen in drag behind her.

chicks026.jpg

Then some raging idiot set the pasture across from us on fire. Major drama. Finally out but still smoking.

PICT0011.jpg