Hog(s) emphasis the s, 7 s's

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Never frown on gift grower hogs, be very thankful instead.

Edit...
Picture deleted

Previous owner moving was happy they found hog heaven. Not the first hooves, I had planned on. But free is free, so you won't hear me complaining none. Not sure what I'm going to do with all of them. I know one will go to be processed for my wife and I. I guess I'll ask around and try and give the others away, when they are ready to be processed. Sounds like a good deal to me, just pay the processor.

Also yesterday the man who cut my 10 acres for hay early this summer, stopped in and asked if I wanted the 10 acres bush hogged. I said it does need it, how much? He said free. I said really? He said yes, I can't charge you, that 10 acres patch makes great hay. Little does he know after he finishes, he'll find a benjamin in his mail box, from some anonymous person.

Good-ole County Livin'

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Absolutely crazy... It started raining last night puddles everywhere this morning. Yet my 10 acres was bush-hogged, when I noticed a little before noon. Now I need to send my wife on a mission with a benjamin 👍
IMG_20211028_115116425_HDR.jpg

IMG_20211028_115126214_HDR.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Free pigs and bush hogging too! Maybe your hay man would like a pig?

I have raised pigs for neighbors before. We split feed costs and they paid their own processing. They were delighted.

Keep the fat! Render it down for the lard, then can in quart jars.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

I have raised pigs for neighbors before. We split feed costs and they paid their own processing. They were delighted.

Yep the man that cut my hay IS on my Christmas card list along with my neighbors. That's a good list to be on, much better than the naughty list 😉 My wife just left on a mission 👍 we talked and agreed better for her that seek out his wife and give her the benjamin because I already know he wouldn't take it from me.

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yep the man that cut my hay IS on my Christmas card list along with my neighbors. That's a good list to be on, much better than the naughty list 😉 My wife just left on a mission 👍 we talked and agreed better for her that seek out his wife and give her the benjamin because I already know he wouldn't take it from me.

My husband does the same thing! Sends me to ask for barter or give 'gifts', lol

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My husband does the same thing! Sends me to ask for barter or give 'gifts', lol
My wife delivered the goods. Then while I was minding my own business on my own land, working on my own fence. Up he comes through the pasture his 4 wheeler. He got out and tried to give me a benjamin. I said I don't your money. He said mine? This is yours. I said how can that be mine when you're trying to give it to me? After a long discussion and several thank you's, he left with his benjamin 👍

Currently Angus feeder steers are going for $1.25 lb, live weight and angus heffers $1.05lb. When I'm ready that's what they'll cost me. He has several people I can purchase them from. I got enough hay rounds to get two cows through the winter. So that's all I'll be getting is two.

More Livin' Local.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

That's a good idea, I'll put word out on the grape vine and see what comes back.

I'm just sitting here scratching my head wondering how come it took so long for me to figure all this out? Sure it's hard work... but hard work, never scared me one little bit. I had my wife out helping pull fence in the rain today. She didn't even complain one little bit 🥳

Medicine Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was given a free tiny pig. A two year old male uncasterated. DH is making a small pen for him. He is currently still in a large pet taxi. DH gave him a pan with water and dried corn last night when he saw it was taking longer than he expected. I prefer small breed pigs for someone our age. They eat less, still till up the soil good enough and when it’s time to dispatch them we don’t need to call in reinforcements. We have already totally tended to killing, shaving, hog head cheese, and packing of the meat...just the two of us. Honestly it was like the size of 3 big Muscovy drakes except a bigger head. Think bantam swine. I told DH that I liked it and I would think the older we get that this breed should appeal to us more.
But tell y’all the truth I think DH can work on his hog trap and locate it in the back near the sugar cane fields with the owner’s permission because I saw the heard. They will multiply and destroy the cane if no one hunts them.