1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 4 Thieves Vinegar - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Hogs for meat

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by CrealCritter, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Feb 17, 2018
    Chic Rustler

Chic Rustler Super Self-Sufficient

A guy listed 2 pot belly pigs for free on cl. He was gonna give them to me but I asked him if I could field dress them there and he blew me off.

2. Feb 17, 2018
    NH Homesteader

NH Homesteader Super Self-Sufficient

Lol yeah... That doesn't surprise me. People don't want you eating their pets!

sumi likes this.
  3. Feb 17, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Super Self-Sufficient

Lol @baymule! The only reason I'm even CONSIDERING a pig is from reading your links... Too much reading gets me in trouble around here! :lol::lol:

We are at the very corner of the county and the very very edge of the city limits though it is mostly country here. But I was checking local ordinances here and we are not allowed ANY kind of pig or any of the swine family. It's already in the 70's here this week with tons of rain, so I think I'll table this till winter so the smell will be lower... I do have room, and a fence and a shelter though! Im ready... Maybe they'd believe I was "pig-sitting" for just a few weeks??:gig

@Chic Rustler, I'll try to remember to leave the knife in the truck and not to be drooling when I go pick up free pork!! :lol:

Chic Rustler likes this.
  4. Feb 17, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

We are not supposed to have pigs in our neighborhood either. Really? With a town 8 miles away, nobody is going to tell me what I can and can't do on my land. I doubt if anyone out here even knows about the pig ban. My neighbors don't care anyway, especially since I raised pigs for some of them! LOL

I'd say, just get pigs anyway. Build a non-see through fence so they can't be seen from the road and my bet is, no one will care. Do you have any close neighbors?

For you, I'd say get pigs in the fall and raise through the winter. They will be gone before it gets hot and the smell and flies come to visit.

5. Feb 18, 2018
    milkmansdaughter

milkmansdaughter Super Self-Sufficient

Yep, that's my plan... My pen is far enough from the road that I don't think anyone will see. And my chickens free range even though that's restricted too. I give eggs and fresh vegetables to my closest neighbors. I do think winter will be better here for pigs, especially since my husband has been sick. But it's soooo hard to pass up free meat!

baymule likes this.
  6. Feb 18, 2018
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

then don't pass it up, go get free pigs! Question the people on how they have been fed (without letting them know that you are going to eat the pig) ask for a little of the feed because it can upset an animals digestive system to change feeds. Then you will know what the pig has been fed. Some people give their pet pigs dog food, you would definitely want that out of their system before slaughtering the pig!

I don't think a mini pig would make a huge stink, so go get them! I kept a pot belly pig in my back yard in the middle of town and she didn't stink.

milkmansdaughter likes this.
  7. Feb 18, 2018
    sumi

sumi Sustainability Master Administrator

A few years ago I kept pigs and ended up keeping quite a few more than originally planned. The smell wasn't an issue. If you keep their pens clean it's very manageable. My biggest complaint about them would be the noise. Those things can take your ears off, especially around feeding time. If you want to keep your pigs under cover, that would be my biggest concern.

8. Feb 22, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Lol - you are brutally honest. Perhaps a little to honest for that guy.

9. Feb 22, 2018
    CrealCritter

CrealCritter Super Self-Sufficient

Put one of these on each side of your driveway. Amazing how many people it prevents from coming up on your property.
    IMG_20180220_221053.jpg IMG_20180220_221053.jpg

10. Mar 24, 2018
    Wannabefree

Wannabefree Little Miss Sunshine

So if I go get a very large boar hog...will the meat be good for anything? He's about 4 years old and around 8-900 pounds. Intact..will the meat be "tainted" or not? I get mixed results asking that question...

baymule likes this.