Hogs for meat

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you ever shot a gamy old buck? You know, the kind with HUGE antlers, seen a lot of hunting seasons, but finally met the hunter that brought him down. The meat has a heavy odor. I have processed a few and made sausage. I kept a few cuts for steaks, but I seasoned it to Sunday and back before I fried it.

Those gamy old bucks would have "taint". I've eaten them and the taint didn't bother me or anybody else that ate it.

I have never processed a boar with taint, so I have no experience to draw on.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Have you ever shot a gamy old buck? You know, the kind with HUGE antlers, seen a lot of hunting seasons, but finally met the hunter that brought him down. The meat has a heavy odor. I have processed a few and made sausage. I kept a few cuts for steaks, but I seasoned it to Sunday and back before I fried it.

Those gamy old bucks would have "taint". I've eaten them and the taint didn't bother me or anybody else that ate it.

I have never processed a boar with taint, so I have no experience to draw on.

I always called that gamy and yes I know exactly what your talking about. So that's taint, ok got it now thanks.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
See I can't eat gamey old bucks. Seasoned or not. So I just know I would be sensitive to boar taint. I personally stick with, I don't eat boars. Too bad, they're cheap!