Holiday cookies

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't bother with healthy for holiday cookies. This makes for a soft but not squishy sugar cookie. They are best if they sit overnight after frosting. I think I'm the only one other than Mom that now knows the recipe even though it's out of an old cookbook. Once the frosting dries, these pack fairly well.

This is the recipe that Mom had to buy all the butter and flour for. Everyone in our large family wants some. Last year she made almost a thousand cookies. There are some fights at certain relatives houses.

Sugar cookies

3/4 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extact
1 tsp butter flavoring

Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and flavoring thoroughly. Stir flour, baking powder, and salt together. Blend in. Chill at least one hour. A full day works best.

Oven at 400°

Roll 1/8 inch thick. Bake 6-8 minutes until golden but not actually browning.

Frosting (old Wilton cake frosting from the early 80s)

1 1/2 C shortening
1/2 C milk plus 1 TBSP
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter extract
2 pound bag powdered sugar

Cream shortening. Mix extracts into shortening. Disolve salt into milk.

Mix about 2 tablespoons milk into shortening. Add about 1/3 sugar. Add more milk then another third sugar. Add more milk and then rest of sugar. There may be milk left over.

When done should be soft but not soggy. If too stiff add rest of milk.

Must be covered quickly or will crust.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This was my Great Uncle's favorite cookie. Great Grandma used to make them. Mom made them for him every year for his birthday but they are in her Christmas cookie batch as well. All the cookies she makes come from the same book that Great Grandma gave her.

Oatmeal raisin drop cookies

1/4 cup shortening
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup molasses
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1 cup raisins

Heat oven to 400°

Mix shortening, sugar, eggs, and molasses thoroughly. Stir flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon together. Blend in. Stir in oats, nuts, and raisins.

Drop dough by rounded teaspoonfuls about 2" apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
This was always my favorite Christmas cookie: Unfortunately there is NO way I can make these Keto friendly. I HAVE found several new keto friendly cookie recipes which I am slowly adding to my repertoire; but these remain firmly in my memory of glorious Christmas Past.

Stained Glass Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sifted confectioners sugar
1 egg
2 1/2 cups flour
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1 cup candied fruit
1/2 cup candied fruit or citron, chopped
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Cream butter and sugar well; beat in the egg. Stir in the dry ingredients. Blend in the nuts and fruit. Form in rolls 1 1/2 inches diameter. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze. Thinly slice cookies and bake in preheated 375F oven on greased cookie sheet 6 to 8 minutes. These cookies will not slice unless they are frozen. Makes about 10 dozen cookies.

Latest posts