Holiday Traditions...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is the passing of generational traditions a new thing, or am I just experiencing something new for me?

It's just life. Some things stay, some things change. It's that way here, also. Part is from family loss & separation. Years back you didn't move far away and jobs were not like now. No internet, etc.

Financially, we decided years back to not exchange other than the young ones being gifted. Some years we have a big meal, others no. I think the last one was about 3 years ago now. Truly only myself, DS, DD & DGD in the immediate family now. We had breakfast together and then all "went their way". Yes, just another day in the sense of the commercial rush.

I have lovely memories of many, many, many years of Christmases. They are cherished but, only memories. Nothing much is like years past. It's like how I miss my grandmas wooden stove cooking, oil lamps and no electricity. Those are not things I want to convert back to, LOL, but I do carry on with garden and canning, etc. We evolve. You are possibly saddened by passing of family and their memories come flooding in. It's good to have memories. You are making new ones.

The reflections of past -- good or bad -- are what often make the holiday season so difficult for so many.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i consider things have going horribly wrong with technology so iphone this, echo that or google whatever. people hardly talk to each other any more, you can't get together and play a game without someone interrupting to show some video or to play music or having it interrupted by a phone call. just seems like nobody really is present and communicating.