Hollandaise Sauce

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With all the recent posts on mayonnaise I thought that maybe some of you would also be interested in Hollandaise. With the Girls working overtime to make up for their Winter holidays (2 1/2 eggs a day, average, from the 3 of them), and asparagus and artichoke season here, it is time for Hollandaise.

First some trivia. I have read that some of the Huguenots (Protestants who fled France during a time of religious persecution) who went to Holland were searching for a substitute for their much loved mayonnaise. Having lots of lovely butter, but no oil, they came up with Hollandaise.

I make my Hollandaise in the blender. I know some of you do mayonnaise with a stick blender, and I'm sure that work here too.

3 large egg yolks
1 Tbls. lemon juice
Small pinch of salt
Pinch of cayenne
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan. Mix the other ingredients in the blender on "LO". Pour the butter into the blender slowly while it is running. Taste, and add more lemon juice or cayenne as needed.

You can mix everything but the butter early (not hours early! :D, 15 or 20 minutes) and then pour the butter in just before serving. Serve in a warmed bowl or jug. If necessary you can put the bowl/jug into a pan, with hot (not boiling) water to reach partway up the sides, to keep warm for 15 minutes or so.

Serve over asparagus, or as a dipping sauce for artichokes, or over eggs Benedict.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bearnaise sauce

This is a somewhat more involved Hollandaise sauce. It is often served over rare roast beef or steak, though its also good with veggies, just as regular Hollandaise.

3 large egg yolks
pinch of salt
pinch of cayenne
4 Tbls finely chopped shallot
2 Tbls tarragon vinegar (or white wine vinegar)
2 Tbls dry white wine
1 Tbls chopped fresh tarragon (somewhat more if using plain vinegar)
A couple of grinds of fresh black pepper
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

Melt the butter over low heat in a small saucepan.
Combine shallot, vinegar, wine, and 1/2 to 2/3 of the tarragon in another small pan; bring to a boil and simmer until reduced to 1 Tbls. Proceed as for Hollandaise, using reduced mixture in place of lemon juice. Garnish with remaining chopped tarragon.