Holy Turkeys!

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yesterday before we went out, I noticed a turkey in the front yard. Roy looked and didn't say Holy Turkeys! He said something else. There were about 50 turkeys coming out of the woods straight for the house and bird feeder.

012.jpg

They just kept coming and coming....

014.jpg

004.jpg

007.jpg

And this is the aftermath:

029.jpg

Anyone know how to deter them if they come back in the Spring and Summer (when it's not Turkey season)?

Thanks,
Annette

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Believe me, if it was season we'd been out there with our guns. Today there were about 15 - 20 around.

I just want them gone when the weather warms up. I want to plant some fruit bushes (don't know what kind yet) out front. Don't want them eating them.

Today, one of the turkeys was trying to figure out how to get food out of the bird feeder.

Annette

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hmph ... well, I'd be looking for a loophole, LOL. Doubt one exists though.

"Yes, officer, these turkeys just showed up and put themselves in our poultry pen, I know, they got all mixed up with OUR turkeys and ... well, it WAS processing day ... "

Yup, I'd be tempted. I got only one supermarket turkey due to prices this year. I want me a whole flock of them for next year, LOL.

Sorry I have no suggestions for keeping them away. Shame they are a nuisance and can't be eaten!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
My parents just gave up and put a big game feeder at the edge of the property for the turkeys and deer to help keep them away from the grapevines. Its really funny....they have it set for 6pm and you can hear it whir and everybody comes a runnin'! :lol:

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
My parents just gave up and put a big game feeder at the edge of the property for the turkeys and deer to help keep them away from the grapevines. Its really funny....they have it set for 6pm and you can hear it whir and everybody comes a runnin'! :lol:
I have never seen a big game feeder. Do you have a picture or a link to a picture?

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Odds are we will see about getting a nuisance permit if they are back in the spring and threaten the berry bushes that I want to plant. We already lost 2 mulberry and 4 apple trees to the deer. Now we have them each individually fenced so they are safe for now. But once they mature I am already envisioning bears looking down at us as we walk the dogs. Roy is still talking about bee keeping. In order to do that we'll probably have to use an electric fence to keep the bears out.

I just remember when we moved up here at the end of 2007 we had no wildlife near the house. Now we have at least 4 bears, sandhill cranes, bambi (except during deer season, then they hide in the marsh) and a fox. Folks say they have seen wolves in the area, and I know we have coyotes but have never seen one here. Once we get more trees, I am sure we will get some squirrels and I am just waiting for the rabbits to find the garden. We have them out in the fields along the driveway already. Unless one of them make their way into our fenced yard, I don't think they will land in the jaws of our fearsome predator :/

DSCN1839.jpg

The rabbits know that she is on a leash and don't have to fear her. They don't even run that far away from us.

Annette