Home auto maintenance...how many do it?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I miss the days when it wasn't so populated...seems folks stopped and helped more often. I guess they knew that it was a more dire situation to be stranded then, than it is now. I've seen folks whiz by like it ain't no thang on a busy highway~I guess assuming I should have a cell phone and would have called someone! :rolleyes: When I see a woman stranded, no matter how busy I am, I stop.

For that matter, if I see a cow out, I stop and tell it at the next house. If I see a deer killed in the middle of the road, I stop and drag it off the pavement. I've taught the kids to do this also. The world isn't such a busy place and you've nothing more important to do than to help others. :rolleyes:

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
My DH does as much as he can. These darn computerized cars though, ugh! He has been able to take his Jetta in and have it hooked up to the diagnostic computer at a local auto parts place, then do the necessary repair himself. He does all our oil changes, brakes, and anything else he can do himself. We have a couple of mechanic friends who sometimes can help out. One is way too busy though, and the other strictly works on motorcycles. But both have worked on hundreds of Volvos over the years, so he can at least pick their brains about the 1994 wagon we scored last year for FREE! DH has restored a 1957 Buick all on his own, including upholstering the seats! He rebuilt his father's VW Beetle when he was in high school. He's very handy to have around! I can change a tire in theory, but I've never had to do it. I used to be able to change oil and could again if I had to, but DH enjoys to it so I let him. He's so lucky! ;)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am lucky in this area there are good old southern folks that will stop and help. I noticed where I live the good old help thy neighbor is still in effect....mostly. With the new big houses that were built and people driving fancy cars, the more poor person will help you first, cause they dont' have to live the rat race to make as much money to live up to their financial payments..LOL

I know the farming type folks and regular worker folks, but sure don't know anyone in the fancy houses and the ones that drive to Charlotte to work their careers!

yea times have changed. we will never get back that old timey feeling...at least not where I live!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I suppose I'm guilty of letting my handy dandy DH handle all the auto maintenance.

If I had a flat, I'd have to whip out my cell phone and call him. If he wasn't available, I have numerous friends I can count on. I guess if you aren't self sufficent yourself in a particular area, surround yourself with friends who are.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
That's one way of looking at it! ;) :) Gives everyone else a chance to flex their SS muscles! :lol: After all, you dialed that phone all by your self!!! :) :D :lol: Sorry, got the happies this morning and everything seems a little funny! :p

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
That's one way of looking at it! ;) :) Gives everyone else a chance to flex their SS muscles! :lol: After all, you dialed that phone all by your self!!! :) :D :lol: Sorry, got the happies this morning and everything seems a little funny! :p
Yea, I have a cell phone and I know how to use it. You cracked me up! :lol:

ams3651

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
living out in the country my dad used to get calls all the time to pull people out of ditches with the tractor and my grandmother the nurse would get calls when neighbors were sick. Not so much anymore, theres so many neighbors we dont know everybody personally anymore.

krjwaj

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH has always done my oil changes, detailing, light fixes, etc. My dad is a mechanic so whatever DH can't do, Dad can. I do realize my fortunate I am.:)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Unfortunately, I only know how to add gas and oil, and change tires. I should think about learning to change the oil at least.

homestead jenna

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My father REQUIRED us kids to be able to change a tire, change an air filter, inspect the oil and tranny fluids, air the tires, and change the oil before he'd sign off to let us get our licenses. That was back when I parked my Model T under the shade tree to do that stuff, by the way. :lol:

THEN I dated a guy in high school that made dates out of looking at his car transparencies :ep - he had these overlays that described all the parts of the engine and stuff. Yes, I was hard up - but at least it wasn't "come over and look at my etchings." This actually worked out to my benefit because I blew a u-joint on my way to high school one morning and actually knew enough to pull the drive shaft out and stick it in the trunk before walking home to call the local shop (yes, friends...we only had woodburning cell phones back then....).

NOW, my little brother is ASE certified...so guess who's got a speed dial on my newfangled cell phone. ;) :hugs

One thing I'll never forget about my dad was the when he cleaned the carb on my 1967 Plymouth Belvedere (slant 6, 225 engine....it was a killer!). He gets all finished and hands me a paper bag with a bunch of parts in it. He was a ol' redneck shadetree mechanic from way back..."Put that in the trunk...they didn't go back in." And you know what, sports fans, I NEVER had any carb trouble, got terrific gas mileage (think Arab Oil Embargo, off and even days at the pump) and sold the car with that bag of gizmos still in the trunk.

Latest posts