Home Birth - Graphic Descriptions.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wow, just read this thread......awesome stories. Of course homebirth is SS! SELF sufficient! What if the health care system completely collapses? Which it could. Thank goodness some people will be there to teach.

Thank you for this thread. I am 46 and will not be giving birth at home or in hospital anytime soon, but I appreciate the stories and that some people are willing to share them. It is a beautiful thing and brought tears to my eyes, reading the stories. Thank you for sharing.

BTW, nutrition opinions are also ss. I share what I have learned (I am trained and certified, not just a wingnut....well, not totally just a wingnut :D ) because there is so much amazing misinformation out there, and staying healthy and not dependant on pharmaceuticals IS self-sufficient.

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
LOL, I'm super hormonal - peanut butter makes me cry, LOL. I was just saying that I thought it was really cool how a family's seeming misfortune turned into a blessing. It's always inspiring when a negative turns out to be a positive and you can actually make the connection.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Go for the peanut butter, it is good for you! (unless it came from that Georgia plant!!!) Check the label and get the kind that is just peanuts and salt, no HFCS!

;)

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Go for the peanut butter, it is good for you! (unless it came from that Georgia plant!!!) Check the label and get the kind that is just peanuts and salt, no HFCS!

;)
Or unless you suffer from renal stones! :hit :he

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I normally love PB and could eat it by the spoonfuls but, sadly, this baby doesn't seem to care for it much and pitches great heaving fits of nausea in protest. I never had this aversion with my other pregnancies so I'm slightly disgruntled by it. LOL.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Not meaning to offend anyone who thinks differently, but I think homebirths are about as SS as one could get, and I for one am glad to see this post.

I was 28 the first time I got pregnant. I wasn't young, but I was naive. It wasn't until a few years later that I started my ss journey. Had I known (more) about homebirths--I probably would have wanted to have my babies that way.

I think this topic could enlighten many or even a few, who might not otherwise have considered it. To be more dependant on yourself and less dependant on the "system" is what SS is all about to me--doing as much for yourself that you can.--I definitely think this topic fits in here.

Kudos to all who have had homebirths. I think it is great, and I think it could be a great experience. If I had to do it all over again, I would definitley choose homebirthing. Its not for everyone, but at least we have options to explore. I had both my kids in hospitals, and we have great memories, but like I said, if I could do it all over again.....

Thank you for your stories.

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So regarding Pitocin I didn't see it mentioned that it was used in the home birthing... is there any reason that they give it so much at the hospital? I have known 5 girls to give birth in the last year and all were given it from the beginning only one was a high risk pregnancy and the others were without problem. I remember one friend asking that she not have it but was told that it was procedure and it would help to have a healthy baby.

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Typically the only reason pitocin would be introduced in a home birth setting would be AFTER the baby is born and the mother is hemorrhaging. It causes intense contractions that, under those circumstances, will stop the bleeding.

Unfortunately, hospitals often feel that a woman needs "help" because she's not progressing as quickly as they would like. Pitocin is the beginning of the end for many birthing moms, resulting in c-section. As we all know every woman is different so, therefore, all women will birth differently. Some women have short but intense labors and births while others have long, drawn-out births. When a woman's lengthy labor is going to interfere with the doctor's T-time or make him late for dinner, they start the 'pit'. This causes overly intense contractions most of the time and the laboring mother succombs to having epidural anasthesia because she cannot tolerate the pain. The epidural can slow or stall labor. The medical answer to this is to increase the "pit". The result is that the baby goes into distress and they have to perform an emergency c-section.

The World Health Organization says that a c-section rate higher than 10% is unethical. The current c-section rate in the US is about 33%. This means that if you line up 10 women who all had c-sections then, on average, a staggering 7 of them wouldn't have needed one had it not been for unnecessary intervention.

The US is one of the leading nations in medical advancement but we're around number 45 for infant and maternal mortality. The countries with the lowest instances of infant and maternal mortality are ones where midwives attend the vast majority of births. There are activist groups around the country who are fighting to take back our birth experiences. There are many states in which home birth is illegal. Regardless of where each woman chooses to have her baby, it should be the right of every pregnant woman to give birth in the fashion of her choosing.

Midwives are not the manifestation of the image the media has planted into our brains. They are highly trained and skilled, professionals. They are NOT the sage-burning, herb weilding, incense-burning, chanting bohemians that many people have implanted into their brains.

I highly recommend watching a film entitled "The Business of Being Born". You can watch the trailer here: http://www.thebusinessofbeingborn.com/trailer.php. I know the entire film is viewable online somewhere but I can't find it at the moment. I'll keep looking and post the link when I find it.