Home Birth - Graphic Descriptions.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Nikki28 said:
So regarding Pitocin I didn't see it mentioned that it was used in the home birthing... is there any reason that they give it so much at the hospital?
That is a big can o' worms there, you know ;)

First of all, Pitocin and any other contraction-inducing-or-strengthening drugs are not used in homebirths because midwives are not generally allowed to prescribe serious drugs [details depend on type of midwife and jurisdiction, but this is at least 96% accurate as a generalization..

Secondly, though, there are a lot of *bad* effects that Pitocin etc can produce and you would want to have further medical support available if necessary. There is pretty strong evidence that Pitocin etc is, how to say this politely, often used at times when it is either unwarranted or actively counterproductive, thus setting off a whole cascade of further, ever-larger pharmaceutical and/or surgical interventions. For instance if someone arrives at the hospital not really in serious labor, but the hospital figures they're there now so may's well go ahead and have the baby anyhow, the woman is unlikely to "make" the hospital's schedule of how fast her cervix is Supposed To dilate. (Because, duh, of not actually being IN that part of labor in the first place, and also there is evidently just quite a lot of normal variation in the rate/fashion in which different births proceed. The derivation of typical hospital timetables is NOT based on good evidence). Also, going to a hospital can in and of itself put a dent in the progression of labor, as certainly can typical hospital things like staying in one place or lying down. So that doesn't help either.

Thus, after a while the woman, despite her body not actually being in serious labor yet, is dubbed "failing to progress" and Pitocin etc is given. This increases the strength/frequency of the contractions (well, it is intended to anyhow - if it doesn,t, the dose is generally upped til it does). However if the baby is not in the right position and in the right part of the womb to start getting born, or if the body is just not READY to go into labor, having harder contractions does not necessarily do any good, just hurts like hell and wears the woman out. At this point an epidural is often administered. Unfortunately epidurals have been shown to slow down the progress of labor, possibly inherently and certainly because of how they generally require the woman to lie still on her back on the bed. (Epidurals are also associated with poorer outcomes for the baby, apparently even when you factor out higher-risk situations and just look at totally elective epidurals) Thus, further failure to progress is even *likelier*.

*Eventually* either the body manages to get the baby out, somewhat despite the medical procedures, or a C-section is done. (The US has a hugely higher rate of C-sections than pretty much any other country in the world, including ones with just as high standards of living, and yet does not have a particularly outstandingly low infant mortality rate... hm)

The sad thing is that there are really quite a LOT of things that can be done to increase the chances of the body's being able to birth the baby in a minimally-risky maximally-good-outcome way. Midwives are trained in these sorts of things. Doctors and, generally, OB ward nurses, sadly, are *not*. (And some of the things are contrary to ubiquitous hospital policy anyhow.)

Mind, certainly sometimes situations DO arise where drugs or surgery really ARE necessary to save the mothers and/or baby's life. Absolutely for certain! And it is really really good that we have hospitals and doctors available for those sorts of things!

It's just unfortunate that, as useful as they are for rescuing the situation when things go wrong, doctors and hospitals tend to also PRODUCE things going wrong, because of practices based on tradition and convenience and sometimes contrary to good published evidence, while ignoring a bunch of things that would *help* babies be born smoothly.

There is a good book out there, I don't remember the exact title anymore but it contains the phrase "evidence-based" and is written by I think a small panel of doctors and reviews what common medical practices surrounding pregnancy and childbirth are, and aren't, supported by actual research study evidence. It is quite the eye opener. Henci Goer's work is also of interest, although she(?) is maybe a bit far out towards one end of the spectrum for some tastes ;)

Sorry to be so longwinded, this si something I feel strongly about :p

Pat

Nikki28

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Very cool, I had no idea Ricki Lake did a documentary on birthing. I just finished "Who Killed the Electric Car" so I'll make that next on my list.

Wow I'll have to look up more on pitocin.
It never sat right with me why they were being so pushy with it, not that I'm knocking it completely but they made it seem so important with each birth that it was for the health of the baby. Thanks for the info.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I had to laugh out loud over protests of this thread being TMI. What?!? We can talk about earwax cures, male and female hygiene products, the number of times we pee before flushing, etc., etc.? BYC has this enormously long thread about somebody's husband sebaceous cyst, pix included. But home births? Wow.

I would now love to have had home births. I just wasn't there yet emotionally or SS wise when my kids were born. I also was the product of a delivery that probably would have ended in death if I had not been born in a hospital, so that didn't get me thinking too seriously about home births.

Anyway, the hospital experience pretty much stunk. Very bright lights, emotionally distant staff (bored, actually), severe overcrowding, no teaching or guidance. I mean, I really would have appreciated someone at least observing me breastfeeding. Like, I was about to bring this completely helpless infant home!

The good parts were complete freedom in birthing position and other details, like who could be in the room with me, having the babies with me all night, hot water tubs for pain control.

So, kudos to doulas, midwives and home birthing families. However you get your baby here is fine with me, and it's extra neat to thoughtfully and carefully go against the tide.

greenrootsmama

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Part of the draw for home birth for me was that DH could be an integral part of the birth - moreso than holding my hand and saying, "ok, breathe..." We actually planned for him to catch the baby but as it turned out I needed him elsewhere. We're shooting for the same goal this time. Another really cool experience was after the baby was born and things were settling down my midwife took the placenta and *censor for the squeamish ones - if you're easily grossed out you might want to stop reading now* explained the parts of it and how it worked to DH and our hypnobirth friend. She showed how the membrane or bag of waters that holds the baby was actually pretty tough, not thin like a water balloon. We actually caught the whole birth and the biology lesson that followed on video. The whole thing is about 20 minutes long after editing and we watch it from time to time to relive that day.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I was disconcerted about the level of protests on this thread also. And the nasty tone of those protests! :( Not necessary at all.

Birthing a child in any setting is a miracle and a thing of beauty....even all the gushy, bloody details. I am thankful that Greenrootsmama and Pat chose to share their experiences with us all because, as someone stated, this is a very private and soulful moment for most families.

As for not being SS? Balderdash! Having a child at home is the most SS thing I could ever imagine! The courage and preparedness that one would have to have is mind-boggling. That we can talk freely about helping an animal give birth~with pictures, I might add~and think that this was disgusting and had no place on an SS forum is just ridiculous.

We can talk all day about what we would do if the power went out, what we would do in a naturel disaster and even~and it makes me sigh to even say it~what we would do if zombies took over the earth :rolleyes: ....but we can't talk about having a child at home? The details were the most important part and may help someone else who, though they might not have planned it, may find themselves in a position of an emergency birth at home.

As for someone thinking it is insensitive to talk about having one's baby just because others are still trying.... the world doesn't stop for other people just because someone can't have a baby. We talk about the beauty around us in front of blind people, and still talk amongst ourselves in front of the deaf. We who have babies shouldn't have to stop rejoicing and celebrating just because we CAN have a child. Its not insensitive, its called life and its for living and rejoicing and the telling of it.

Keep those stories of home birthing coming, gals, because they are the most beautiful stories...every detail! :thumbsup

Oh, BTW, this month's issue of Countryside has a whole section on this very subject! ;)

me&thegals

Reaction score
greenrootsmama said:
Part of the draw for home birth for me was that DH could be an integral part of the birth - moreso than holding my hand and saying, "ok, breathe..." We actually planned for him to catch the baby but as it turned out I needed him elsewhere. We're shooting for the same goal this time. Another really cool experience was after the baby was born and things were settling down my midwife took the placenta and *censor for the squeamish ones - if you're easily grossed out you might want to stop reading now* explained the parts of it and how it worked to DH and our hypnobirth friend. She showed how the membrane or bag of waters that holds the baby was actually pretty tough, not thin like a water balloon. We actually caught the whole birth and the biology lesson that followed on video. The whole thing is about 20 minutes long after editing and we watch it from time to time to relive that day.
I find it a bit horrifying how very little most of us (me included) actually KNOW about our own bodies and what they produce. I envy my husband the up-close viewing of it all while I was concentrating on breathing and not panicking in the pain.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I have shed many a tear over not having my own babies, yet how can I not rejoice with others who have? :woot

If I didn't....well, that is what therapy is for.

I have literally looked into the eyes of pure evil, and let me tell you, that puts everything into perspective. Somehow, not much that is said and done here bothers me. Just intolerance. However, we are all allowed "having a bad day" so let's also be tolerant of intolerance now and then.

I also write weirder things as the night progresses. Gotta get to bed earlier. So let's allow for this in others, too. If any of my posts really irritate anyone, just look at the post time. All bets are off after 10 PM!!! :plbb

me&thegals

Reaction score
freemotion said:
I have shed many a tear over not having my own babies, yet how can I not rejoice with others who have? :woot

If I didn't....well, that is what therapy is for.

I have literally looked into the eyes of pure evil, and let me tell you, that puts everything into perspective. Somehow, not much that is said and done here bothers me. Just intolerance. However, we are all allowed "having a bad day" so let's also be tolerant of intolerance now and then.

I also write weirder things as the night progresses. Gotta get to bed earlier. So let's allow for this in others, too. If any of my posts really irritate anyone, just look at the post time. All bets are off after 10 PM!!! :plbb
What a peacemaker you are! :hugs I'm sorry for your pain. I feel so lucky to have my kids but remember very well the years when we didn't know if it would happen. I can't say I was not bitter, so it's so sweet that you are not.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, I've had my bitter moments! But I finally learned that happiness is a choice, no matter what one's circumstances. And that happiness is never a constant state, so enjoy and remember every happy moment, and find happiness where and when you can. Like this silly 30 lb dog who is on my lap, insisting that I pat him with both hands instead of typing!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
greenrootsmama said:
I find it a bit horrifying how very little most of us (me included) actually KNOW about our own bodies and what they produce. I envy my husband the up-close viewing of it all while I was concentrating on breathing and not panicking in the pain.
LOL, I wanted SOOO much to see, too, but was too wrapped up in pain and concentration, that I didn't see too much. I wish it would have been videotaped, so at least I could have seen it after the fact.