home canned chicken noodle soup

nmred

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
My daughter LOVES campbell's chicken noodle soup! She would eat it three times a day if she could. Does anyone have a recipe for home canned that would taste the same?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
My DD was the same way until I started making our soup and now she won't touch the canned junk. This is what I use:

2 quarts of chicken stock
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp celery seed
1 medium onion diced
1/2 pound chicken chunks(more or less)
1 pkg noodles(I use spaghetti noodles)

I just cook my chicken down, debone it, add the spices to the stock, add the chicken back in and let it cook about 5 minutes at a rolling boil, then add noodles and cook until the noodles are done.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My recipe is similar to WBF's, except that I add diced carrots and Rosemary.

Can it without the noodles, add them when you cook it after you open the jar or you'll get mush :)

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Fettuccine, if you break it up, will give you the flat noodle look she's used too. ;)

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
moolie said:

Can it without the noodles, add them when you cook it after you open the jar or you'll get mush :)
I canned beef stew the other day and it got me thinking about chicken-noodle soup. The only reason I haven't made it yet is because I wasn't sure what to do about the noodles. Keeping them separate makes sense. Maybe I'll measure them out, break them into the right size pieces, bag them, and tape it to the jar.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yay! I can answer that question! :p

Because there is meat, it must be pressure canned.

:cool:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSDreamin said:
Yay! I can answer that question! :p

Because there is meat, it must be pressure canned.

:cool:
To be even more specific, anything that is not a "high-acid" food like fruit/tomatoes or pickles needs to be pressure-canned :)

Always consult a current canning book like the Ball Blue Book or Bernardin Guide to Home Preserving OR their websites (Ball = www.freshpreserving.com and Bernardin = www.bernardin.ca) for specifics and processing times.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
moolie said:

I canned beef stew the other day and it got me thinking about chicken-noodle soup. The only reason I haven't made it yet is because I wasn't sure what to do about the noodles. Keeping them separate makes sense. Maybe I'll measure them out, break them into the right size pieces, bag them, and tape it to the jar.
Sounds like a great plan :)